Fork Rebuid Help

CR REV

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
I'm trying to rebuild a set of forks on a 95 Husqvarna (SHOWA same stuff as ealry 90's Honda) and didn't get very far before I had trouble. I removed the fork cap, spring, lock nut, spring guide, bottom center bolt. Now my general intstructions (not covered in my manual) simply says remove the cartridge through the bottom of the fork slider. Not happening and I didn't want to force anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Sometimes the damper assembly can be a bit tight in the area where the bottom bolt tightens up-try to gently push the damper assembly side to side to work it loose and then pull the damper rod up-it should pull out.

CR REV

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
The thing that seems to be different on these forks is the center bolt threads into the bottom casting and not into the dampner assembly. In other words I didn't have to hold the dampner rod to keep from it from turning while removing the bolt. The bolt is acutaly a whole assembly itself. The next thing in bottom is the end of the rod with a 10mm nut and the shims. Does this make any sense? I thought I could follow the factory manual I have for my old 90 Cr 500 but I guess they aren't quite the same.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The showas vary alot about that time.It is normal for the bottom bolt to come out and have a load of stuff attached to it.
It still sounds like the damper assembly is just wedged in tight-try refitting the bottom bolt and turn it in a good few turns-then with a soft mallet hit the end of the bolt-this should shove the damper assembly out of the fork leg casting.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
You might want to get a manual for the Husky (if you can) I used to work on these alot and Like Marcus said some of the parts are different from the SHOWAS on Hondas back then . The wipers I think were different andI think you had to reference the rebound adjustment (pushrod/needle/spring) assy to get the right range of adjustment in the clickers when installing the fork cap on the damper rod . I think you turn the clicker in 16 clicks and thread down the cap and then tighten up the damper rod nut. Like a XR 400 and the showa road race stuff . HusKY would have been much wiser to stay with Showa than to switch to MZ It seemed as though your 95 suspension was better than the later stuff that leaked and really didnt work as well and was like only half as tuneable . In my opinion anyway .

CR REV

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Thanks for the advice. Marcus your suggestion did the trick. Tapped the bolt with a rubber mallet and the cartridge broke loose from the casting.

Anyone have an suggestions for a homemade seal driver for 43mm tubes? I was told you can make one out of PVC. I have access to a 46 mm driver; anyone know if you can use this on 43mm tubes or is the difference too great?

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
My 46 hits the tubes before the seal is pushed in all the way ,too wide. With a like 2inch or so peice of pvc you coul cut a slit in it to puch the seal in , If you have a really big vise tape up the jaws and put the PVC on the vise but DONT CLAMP DOWN all the way . Youll need to push the seal in as opposed to smacking it in like with a seal driver .Sometomes it may get stuck and a little heat from a heat gun on the aluminum tubeswill help expand and the seal will slip in easier. On older street bikes the seals get really corroded& stuck sometimes and the heat gun thing helps also and keeps from messing up the bushings.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…