KaTMandoo

May 16, 2001
Ok, my front fork seals are leaking. I dont know which seal it is, but it is leaking fluid bad. I called my local dealer and asked them how much it would cost to replace them................200$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Needless to say there is no way im paying that to replace some rinkydink fork seals. So here is my question.....how the heck do I do this? And how much trouble am I gonna get myself in by trying to fix these by myself with no fork experience at all...

I wish there was another way, but I just dont have 200$ to pay the dealer to do it.

thx
KaTMandoo

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
heres what to do

Go to the dealer and get a Business card

with a screw driver carfully pull the Dust seal down, run the card between your seal and your inner fork tube to free any dirt that may be causing it to leak...

alot of times that will pull or push the dirt out of the seal and will stop a leak.

If the seal is ripped you will have to change it. I think you and a buddy may beable to tackle the task of a fork seal.

Last edited:

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I think you're beyond the point of the business card fix, since you've probably lost enough fork oil to notice a difference when you ride. Here's a couple of links that will help:

http://www.geocities.com/aa21830/ForkOil.html
http://www.geocities.com/aa21830/ForkSeals.html

Try cleaning the fork seals first. Many times the leak is caused by dirt getting in the seals. If you do have to replace them, the seals should be about $20 each, depending on where you look. If the dust wipers have never been changed, it might be worthwhile to replace them, too (also about $20 each).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
I recently did the seal cleaning thing but instead of a business card I used a film negative. Seemed to do the trick. Now if I was only smart enough to keep the power washer away from the seals:p

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I am lucky enough to have a guy that does suspension work and he only charged me $20.00 for two seals and $60.00 labor to replace both seals. I would find someone else besides a dealershiper to replace your fork seals, because they will rip you off with $100.00 labor.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
Don't be afraid to do the seals yourself. Very easy, especially on the conventional forks. Original WP seals should be around $30 for the pair.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I have always had my seals replaced by my two neighboring dealers for ~$60 tax, title and licensed. I did however, go to LCS racing here in Garland who had the audacity to quote me $200! Needless to say, they will never get my business even if I ever get a blue bike.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
The WP50s are a breeze on your '99. Getting the correct seal driver helps.

As far as getting the price down, it helps a bunch on the labor charges to REMOVE THE FORKS and take them in rather than the whole bike... That may explain the big differences between the quotes.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Not mine. That was just LCS's way of saying you don't ride a Yamaha, we don't want your business.

Top Bottom