bike_rider250

May 6, 2005
just did a search and still need a little help. My forks are leaking from both sides and i'm planing on putting new seals in but not sure what kind of oil and seals to get, thinkin 10W oil but the seals, is there any better than others i only know of OEM seals, what other choices is there? I'm picking up my Clymer manuel on tuesday, also the bike is a 1991 kx 250

thanks trevor

The_STiLe

May 9, 2005
not really, the best way to stop them leaking is to make sure everything is very clean when you are re-assembling, make sure the oil level is rite, and keep the area around the fork seals clean, and to bleed the air reguarly.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
I reckon the right fluid would be 5 weight. As for the seals, I've tried various sorts but the OEM ones always seem to be the best. Make sure everything is clean before reassembly, and try to find out why the seals failed. Most seal failures are due to nicks or other damage to the fork slider chrome, and these can often be remedied with fine emery paper followed by polish. Also check the dust seals for damage and cleanliness, quite often vigourous power washing etc can cause dirt particles to become lodged under the wiper. While you're in there may as well check the bushings as well.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
No I actually meant a polish as being the next stage on from emery paper to remove imperfections and small scratches, so a mild abrasive would do. I usually then get rid of all the polish residue and spray the legs with silicone or something similar, though I don't know if that really does any good.

txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
...depends on how much $$ u have...kerosene will do a decent job, but kerosene then rinse wit hcontact-cleaner is best...
note: whenever u hv seals start to 'weep' leak, but r still in that 'going bad' stage, often u can get some more life out of them by:
gently remove the dust and oil seal, slide them down the leg, thouroughly spray out everything with contact-cleaner, coat all with a THIN film of high-qulaity silicon grease, and reassemble, then coat the leg itself about 4 inches with a THIN film of that same grease, then pump the bike up and down...often this will instill several more hours out of the seals b 4 they begin really leaking, sometime it 'cures' them for quite awhile...
emergency fix: the alcohol in auto power-steering fluid/etc will also make the seals' rubber swell, but i would not put power-steering fluid in my legs unless it was a ratbike/emergency...

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
When the seals start to leak , its often possible to fix it by removing the dust seal and insert a piece of thin film or a feeler blade between fork leg and seal. Gently work your way around the seal. Most times the seals start leaking because of a small piece of dirt is caught between seal and slider.

bike_rider250

May 6, 2005
just got one more quick question, about the tools i'm plaining on getting a for seal driver and a push rod puller but do i really need a cylinder holder? thanks

Top Bottom