The_Tinman

Jul 16, 2003
I just did my buddys fork seals on a 98 CR250. They leaked first ride, very evenly on both legs. We deduced that he may have purchased seals for a 2000. They have a diff part # but I thought they were the same. I have succesfully done seals on this very bike, with success. I use duct tape on the over the cutout to protect the seals. I have heard to use surran wrap. ?

I am planning on doing them again tonight, any ideas on why the first set leaked?

thanks
TIN

The_Tinman

Jul 16, 2003
both legs leak exactly the same, all the way around real even.

before I did the seals only one leg leaked! profusely but at least only one
this would lead me to believe that the seals are suspect,

I didnt see any obvious nicks in the sliders, bushings looked ok, nothing excessive. I just did the seals on my CRF and the bushings looked pretty worn on one, but put it all back together anyway and it has been fine for prob 30 hrs.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I usually use electrical tape myself but once a piece of tape broke off and was wedging itself in between the fork and seal. I can only imagine the strands of fiber from the duct tape doing the same thing. Just a thought.
If they are big enough to wrap over the bushing relief I use the little baggies that the seals come in. If you just rip open the bag though you can have the same problem of a piece of the jagged edge breaking off and getting trapped under the seal.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom