kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I've got a set of gold valves coming from FRP for my 2003 KDX200, so I had to remove the valve assemblies from the bottom of the forks. I did a search to see what tools I would need. I liked the cylinder holder method better than the impact wrench, so I needed a cylinder holder and a 14mm hex wrench. The JustKDX site has a diagram for the cylinder holder. I had some scrap 1" OD pipe here at work, so I just needed a 27mm nut to weld on the end and a 14mm hex socket. McMaster-Carr (330-995-5500) delivers next day to work, so I use them. I ended up getting a 5/8-11 (27mm=1.063") flange nut, because I could buy just one of them and the flange OD helps line up the tool. The diagram calls for an ID of 5/8 or greater, so I opened up the nut to 5/8, but it may have still worked with the threads.

Here's the parts list:
91030A035 5/8-11 flanged nut $2.20
5571A71 14mm hex socket, 1/2" drive $10.10
5522A33 3/8-1/2" drive adapter $3.91 (for my torque wrench)

Sorry, that was longer than I thought. Everything worked fine and the forks are apart. Couldn't believe how much oil was still in there even after draining and pumping.

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Its really an easy process huh? If you just compress fork while using impact on big hex it would have held and came right out.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
If you just compress fork while using impact on big hex it would have held and came right outIts really an easy process huh?

Not!

I tried on mine and eventually gave up and took them into a shop, I went back the next day and the guy says "I can't get 'em apart"

So then I tried making the cartridge holder tool, but nobody around here carries large metric nuts, I found a large standard nut that fit pretty good but it was to soft and it just rounded off when I applied some torque on it.

So.... I bought the darn tool from FRP!! :eek:
Shoulda done that from the beginning!

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Hey, thanks for the pointer to McMaster Carr. I forgot about them. I looked in the Grainger catalog and didn't find any large hex sockets. I just used a 9/16" Grade 8 bolt. Not next time...

The cartridge tool I made held up through the disassembly and reassembly process but like you said, the metal's soft. Since it won't be too regular a job, I think it'll hold up for awhile. I bought spare nuts so that I could always weld up another.

Best,
Greg

gwhII

Mar 31, 2003
Thanks, Jason. I normally don't check the local autoparts store. I will next time. :-)

Best,
Greg

mxfrank2001

Mar 2, 2004
I have you all beat in the "cheap ass" dept. I made a damper rod holder out of a short piece of scd40 1" PVC pipe with a tee at the end. I just had to mill of about 1 to 2 mil. off the diam of the pipe to get it to fit into the damper rod. I then cut four 1/4 in. slots in the end in a cross pattern to fit into the damper rod slots. Total cost? $1.00 not bad and works great!

mbolton

Mar 7, 2004
THANKS JasonWho!! I spent my day dealing with this. After very unsuccessfully searching for a 14mm hex, I never thought to check Auto Zone. Came home and figured I check DRN, knew their had to be a solution! Anyway, the Auto Zone down the road has two sets, still $7.99. Will have it in my tool set tomorrow. Thanks again, I love this site. :)

Mark

Top Bottom