vmf214

Oct 4, 2005
OK-
I've gotten two sets of KYB Kawasaki forks off that auction site over the last two years. Both were listed as 1998 KX250 forks. The first set I converted for my 02 KDX220. I got the second set as a backup for when a seal let me down. Today both seals in the first set blew. I started to put the second set on and they are larger in diameter and can't go into the triples. I know over the years the USD forks have gotten fatter. I now need to figure out what I actually have (to get parts). The first set are 28mm in diameter on the down tube and 42mm at the fat part of the upper tube. The second set are 31mm on the down tube and 44mm on the fat part of the upper tube. BOTH sets have the same 4 bolt axle caps on each side, NOT the 2 bolt clamping type that came out in 1999. The only thing I can think of is that the fatter ones are from a KX500.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! - Thanks

vmf214

Oct 4, 2005
The more I research this I guess my question should be - How due you tell the different KYB models? I think my initial set of forks might have been 43U's off of something like a KDX250 and the second set 46U's off of a KX250. The only numbers I can find are on the bottom clickers - B5 and E7.

Any ideas?

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Any way you could show us a picture?

4 bolt caps on each side for Kawasaki was 1998 and earlier for KX125 and KX250. KDX never had two caps on each side.

vmf214

Oct 4, 2005
Issue solved

Thanks for the info.
The forks are KYB 43U's. I put in new seals and dust rings for a 1995 KX250 (they fit). Problem is now I have a set of KYB 46U's off of a 98 KX just rebuilt collecting dust. They won't fit my KDX triples or the axle/brake on my KX. Auction site in the near future!

Top Bottom