chillrich

Sep 15, 2003
Was just reading a Dirtbike Q & A article and it was stated that moving your forks up any more than 7mm in the triple clamp can cause odd handling problems. On my 98 YZ250 I have moved them up 15mm to make it turn a little tighter. Although I have not identified any, I'm wondering if there may be some handling irregularities which may be caused by this adjustment. Sag is set at 95mm...should this be adjusted to compensate?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Raising the forks in the clams changes the steering head angle and the trail. This change, as you have noted, makes the steering quicker. But there is no free luch here...quick steering can lead to a bike that is unstable at high speeds, causing a high speed "wobble" or head shake.

With that said, if you are not experiencing any head shake, and are happy with the bikes turn-in, it looks like you have found a position that works for you.

chillrich

Sep 15, 2003
I should also have mentioned that I added 10cc of oil to forks previously to combat a bottoming problem. Is it possible that these two adjustments counteracted each other?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom