Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Hi all,

I hate to beat a dead horse but, I am finally looking at getting my forks done. I had thought about sending them to FRP, but I can never get ahold of jeff, and all it seems like he does it re-spring them and slap gold vavles in. I can do that myself.... I was looking at MX tech, Too tech, and tech care.  Does anyone have any advice, I am willing to throw a little money to ensure everything works as goodas it can, I am not however ready to do a kx front end swap as it does not seem an exact science yet..... Has anyone seen the air tanks?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Advice on what?

Gold valves indeed just 'screw in'. Shouldn't be a problem for the mechanically 1/2 adept. You'll need a 14mm hex driver to get the original valve out. That might be harder to come by that you think. Get one before you start the job.

I'd suspect you'll have a problem if you: 1. Don't have the holder described in the svc manual or, 2. Don't use an impact tool.

There's a pretty wide variety of opinion of gold valves, ranging from 'they're great,' to 'they stink.'

With no personal experience with them whatsoever, I'd still be leery of how racetech would set them up, seeing as their spring recs are usually silly-stiff (sez me).

I use mx-tech's valve. I've changed the stack for experimentation purposes, but it's back to what it was now. It's better than the change was. I can tell you they work well. I don't have anything to compare them too, though. Well, there was the stock setup. That was just plain scary!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
A guy at a local parts store suggested to find a parts truck like Mac or Snap-On for the 14mm hex head socket. He also suggested a tool store to check out and I could not believe it, they had one! And they were pretty darn proud of it! ;)

I'm still in pursuit of the other tool...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Snap-on would either have it, or could get it. Prolly only cost you a paltry $150 bucks!!

What 'other tool' are you looking for? Granted, yours is not the 'H' model which is my frame of reference, but the 14mm hex is the only tool you can't really make yourself or do without.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The 27mm fastener is where?

Or, you're actually looking for a 27mm nut?

***edit***

Oh..the tool!

You don't need it...when you have pneumatics.

Last edited:

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
Check out FCR suspension, his stuff is great....I have a set of stock forks and the set he did for me. It's a night and day diffirence. I race the 200B class at the GNCC's and his valving and set up is great...there web site is www.fcrsuspension.com

Top Bottom