trickster19

Jun 29, 2006
I just bought a 2005 kx100 on saturday and today i fouled 2 spark plugs. So i was thinking that when the people put gas in the bike they mixed the gas to rich. I bought the bike used and it has about 20 hours from the previous owner. I just clean the air filter yesterday. It has never been jetted. What do you think

Last edited:

stevied125

Jul 20, 2006
You are right!! I just bought a 2005 YZ125 a little over a month ago. For break in purposes they mix the gas 32:1 but after the first tank they said mix 40:1. I fouled a plug on my first tank also

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
trickster19 said:
I just bought a 2005 kx100 on saturday and today i fouled 2 spark plugs. So i was thinking that when the people put gas in the bike they mixed the gas to rich. What do you think

Its impossible for us to guess without a little more info.

Is the bike running stock plug and jetting or has the jetting been changed (being as its a 2005 its either a left over and new you just bought or its used). If its used how many hours on the top-end? Is the air filter clean?

There are a number of reasons it could foul.

If in doubt; change the pre-mix. Just remember the less oil in the pre-mix the richer the fuel mixture is. So 32:1 is actually a leaner fuel mixture than 40:1.

trickster19

Jun 29, 2006
Ok i bought the bike used and it has about 20 hours from the previous owners. I just clean the air filter yesterday. It has never been jetted.

xr100ider

Jan 31, 2003
Just putting this out there...but i think more people generally go with Rich and Lean having to do with the oil rather than the fuel.

Just to avoid any confusion....

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
xr100ider said:
Just putting this out there...but i think more people generally go with Rich and Lean having to do with the oil rather than the fuel.

Just to avoid any confusion....

Thats why I mentioned it, to avoid confusion. If your bike is running rich (fuel mixture) and fouling plugs; going from 32:1 to 40 or 50:1 actually makes the bike more rich (fuel mixture) and prone to fouling plugs.

Most 2-stroke oils are ok to mix from 16:1 to 40:1 (with some of the synthetics supposedly able to mix even higher ratios) as long as you jet accordingly.

The richer fuel mixture makes the combustion temperature less; so the plug tip temp is less and will foul easier.

budhoot

Jun 21, 2006
i mix my bike 32:1 and its a 2002 yz125 i never foul plugs but if you dont putt around on em you shouldnt foul em or atleast i dont guess thats just that kawasaki lol........

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
My kawasaki never fouls a plug at a 32:1 ratio.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom