eagles22793

May 25, 2008
I want to paint my frame on my 97 kdx220r bike but i am not sure what other color to use besides the kawasaki green that is $34 for a can of spray paint. can any tell me what other color to use that is close in color?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I'd look into powdercoating. There's a metalworking shop local here that will powdercoat a frame for 75 if you bring it in already sandblasted or stripped. If you want to paint, I would use some duplicolor wheel paint and a couple layers of the matching clear. It's suppose to be very durable, more so than most rattle can paints. You're limited to black or silver for matching colors with the wheel paint though. If you must do green, I would visit an automotive paint shop and see what they can match up for you.

J.

eagles22793

May 25, 2008
i dont want to strip the bike just to paint it. i have never heard of wheel paint the engine paint would be closest paint that i have heard of. any other ideas

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Wheel paint is quite durable. I used it to paint the frame, fork legs, swingarm, and misc small parts on my 03 KDX220. I'll post pics whenever I can log into my Photobucket account again!

I used both dark gray and silver Duplicolor wheel paint on my bike. I have used Plasticoat wheel paint for a few other projects (truck wheels, bicycle frame, bumpers, etc). No comparison, go with Plasticoat! It's far thicker and more durable than the Duplicolor stuff (which seemed more like thick spraypaint). The Plasticoat seemed like a hard plastic coating, just like the name suggests.

My truck wheels held up to off roading, Michigan winters, and impact driver slips with hardly a mark. I once accidently grabbed the can of black to use as a guide coat on a car I was painting. It was horrifically difficult to sand off. I think sanding the knobs off your tires would be easier!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I guess I have no good close up pics.

This is assembling after repaining / full rebuild. Used dark gray on the frame and fork lowers, silver on the swingarm.
b3955092.jpg

This pic is about a year and a half later, and TONS of riding. I probably easily had 100 hours on it, and the paint was just wearing thru by where the top of my boot would rub. Swingarm still looked good too. I was veyr happy with the durability.
Picture.jpg

Sold the bike close to 2 years ago. Seen it just 2 weekends ago, it still looks clean. Of course, it also still has the tires on it that I sold it with, and they are hardly worn at all.

porterdog

Aug 22, 2005
You guys looking for paint- check out Tower Paint on the interweb; they sell color matched paint in rattlecans.

Never used their product, but they have a great rep in the Miata world and their website mentions bike paint.

Top Bottom