dirttastesgr8

Feb 19, 2001
I am preparing to repaint my 93 CR125 frame. It appears that it had been previously spray-painted by a former owner, and this paint is now flaking/chipping off. What is the best way to get this old layer of paint off (other than sandblasting?) Is there a good paint remover/stripper anyone can recommend? And does anyone have any tips on prepping the frame so the new paint doesn't chip off too fast?

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
When I repainted my frame, I stripped the old stuff off with lacquer(sp?) thinner, and some fine grain sand paper. The first coat I put on didn't hold to well, so I stipped it off, and put some primer on first. What kind of paint are you going to use? I went to an auto parts store and got some paint mixed.

dirttastesgr8

Feb 19, 2001
BTW the frame appears to be hastily repainted by previous owner- just paint, doesn't look like primer was used. Basically it looks like a touch up job. How do you take tis off without taking off original paint underneath? :ugg:

250motoxer

Apr 13, 2002
Look for stuff called Aircraft paint stripper... I have bought this at stores that sell supplies to body shops, but I think I have seen it at my local Pep Boys... comes in metal can and has a picture of an airplane on it ( go figure).... Be careful with this stuff, it is super strong, you need long heavy duty gloves, and eye protection.. it burns pretty bad if you get it in your skin... cool stuff. you apply it then a couple of seconds later the paint will start to blister and peel.. then you can just use rags or steel wool to get it all off.... again BE CAREFUL :)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Jasco Premium Paint & Epoxy remover is the absolute best consumer product I have seen. Its kinday soupy, just use a brush to coat everything, wait about 5 minutes and hose off. The paint literally bubbles off while you are putting it on. But be very careful, wear thick gloves, goggles and be super careful spraying it off. This stuff burns your skin like you wouldn't believe and another precaution.... it will remove epoxy also!! If you have the money and plan to keep the bike then getting it powder coated is definitely a way better option than painting.

Einstein

May 27, 2002
I painted my old kx and if I were to do it over it would have been sandblasted and powder coated. You can't really remove just one layer of paint, ya gotta take it all off.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I gotta agree with the powdercoating idea. If your spending all the effort to remove everything and paint it you might as well spend the money and time only once. WE had by kids bike frame, swingarm, and motor mount sandblasted and powder coated for only $90.
Any spray paint you use won't last more than one or two rides until your boots will wear through easily. Even if you put grip tape over the boot areas it will dull easily. Plus with the pleathora of colors availible powdercoating these days you can make the bike look really nice.
I started the paint route but it was going to cost $35 for the local shop to shoot paint plus a pint of paint which is another $25-50.
If you add up the costs of the rattlecans, both paint and primer, sandpaper, time sanding it looks like this

all that time+$$$ for rattlecans+won't look good more than a month=Just friggin get it powdercoated!!!!

My opinion anyway\
JAson

Top Bottom