woodsrider823

Aug 8, 2005
Hey has anybody done some touchups on thier frame paint? I have some spots on my frame where the green paint has worn off and was wondering if there is a touch-up paint for it, or if spray paint worked. or any other helpful advise. thanks

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
My brother bought a KDX 200 98 yr and we got paint from Discount auto and it matched perfect. I still have it if you want me to get you the # of it. I has held up pretty good to.

ELF

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
We Just Used PJ1

Like I said, we, actually my son, :laugh: just finished touching up his frame on each side and around the bottom of the motor.... you know the guards on each side. Boy, it looked great! Until the first ride. The left side lost a bunch of paint around the swinger bolt. Now, we may have made a mistake not priming it, but I really don't know if that would have helped. He smoothed/scuffed with a 3M pad. My advice to you is to paint it with the PJ1 and then get some of the clear sticky to protect it. That's what we're going to do next.

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
The cleaning part is very important, some residule grease may have been around that swingarm bolt causing a weak bond. Priming is also very important. There is also a clear topcoat they make to finish the job. Works great!

The PJ1 paint is very durable and I have never had it just come off.....

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
PJ1 is a color matched application specific epoxy bike paint and can be bought at most of your larger online dealers of aftermarket parts.:)

jonnyriabov

Oct 27, 2005
Line-x

Next winter I plan to have my frame sprayed with “LINE-X” truck bed liner, the guy said that he will charge the same as he does for a tailgate, which is roughly $40 Canadian. I think it will look sharp and turn out really tough, and not wear around my boots to fast. The line x spray can be put on with or with out the grip pebbles, I personally want the pebbles sprayed on, but they will likely make it harder to clean.

Just an idea for you, as the sanding supplies, thinner, and paint will probably cost $20 alone. And then wear off the first ride from your boots like mine did.

jonny

JasonRan

Jun 6, 2005
jonnyriabov-

My dad recently purchased a DRZ 400 and the previous owner had a lot of the frame and engine case Line-X'd. It looked great when it was first done, but after a few rides in the mud, it was almost impossible to clean. It always looked dirty no matter what you used to clean it with. It was the "rough" sort of Line X, so I'm not sure how the smooth stuff would do. Just a heads up for ya. Once you put that stuff on, I don't think it will ever come off.

Red_Chili

Nov 30, 2005
Interesting you guys are discussing Line-X (or other bed liner products) for dirt bikes. My main sport is driving my built 4x4 4Runner over unspeakable stuff. Lots of 4x4ers use bedliner as paint, it's durable like none other but cobby and hard to clean.

One other thing that doesn't affect 4x4s but DOES affect dirt bikes: it's an instant way to ADD weight. More than you think!! I would avoid it personally, the clear bra stuff is a much better idea.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom