Lope426

Apr 5, 2002
After hitting a tree and a lengthy stay in the Hospital, I'm trying to rebuild my son's YZ125. I've rebuilt everything except I noticed that the FRAME is bent behind where the triple clamp is ON THE FRAME UNDER THE GAS TANK. This has caused the bike to have a shorter wheelbase! Does anybody have any IDEAS on how to repair this or any other IDEAS?

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
are you sure it's salvageable?  for starters you may want to have the frame magnafluxed.  If it bent in one place, it may have cracked in others.  I'd be tempted to cut the losses and pony up for a new frame.

This must be fairly common, i've heard of two others, both YZ's.  The first sign that somethings off is when the rear of the front fender is hitting on the head pipe.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
It seems to me that you would have created a weak spot. I wouldnt risk bending it back. Maybe you can find a frame at a salvage yard or from someone who pulled thier motor to build a cart.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
If the frame is bent enough to change the wheelbase it's scrap. That is one of the strongest areas of the frame and if it's bent there is probably something else wrong as well. If it were just a crushed/caved in tube it would be one thing but you're talking about serious work to fix it - think along the lines of what it would take to increase the head tube angle on a hard core chopper.

Brian

Top Bottom