Fredette chain guide

stinx

Jul 25, 2000
I recentlyinstalled a Fredette chainn guide. I was wondering if anybody else had a hard time getting it to line up? I han to use a large sledge hammer to get it so the chain woud track correctly. I installed this guard on a 2002 KDX 200

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Use various combinations of washers provided, plus others if needed. Doing that let me light up the front inlet & discharge side (on 2 RMXes).

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
I've one on a 96 kdx

seem to fit poorly and did'nt take the abuse the stock one did? :mad:

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
I want one but i dont know about the Color???? Im spending money just to get the purple off,,,,,,why do i want Blue???

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Speedy, I take it you've a 96 too?

what I did with jr's 96. I have a 99 with a IMS large tank. so I put my 99 plastic's on his 96, he still keep the 96 tank the bike is looking very trick. check out a 99 thru 02 chain guide see if they look any better?

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by Speedy
I want one but i dont know about the Color???? Im spending money just to get the purple off,,,,,,why do i want Blue???

Our two (RMX) came blue. I bead blasted the finish off, then painted them silver.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Easy to install and lined right up. You just need to use the proper combination of washers, they are supplied in the parts bag.

David

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The stock KDX chain guide is very weak - I have personally seen 3 bend or break. One time it was quite inconvenient to get the chain unwedged with the bike in a rut on a steep hill.

The Fredette guide is MUCH stronger, and no one I know ever had any trouble getting them on. If you continue to use the stock guide and ride in rocks or ruts, make sure you carry the tools to disassemble the stock guide on the trail.

stinx

Jul 25, 2000
washers have nothing to do with it. The metal guides need to be bent so that it works. no amount of washers will fix this

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Stinx, I installed the FRP chain guide on my new 01 200 last night. The bike is brand new and nothing has been bent. The FRP guide mounts up nice, but the alignments is not even close!

Yes, I can see washers helping with alignment, but no way is it going to be enough! I don't think you could get any worse than what I have... My stock guide aligns perfectly! Once again, this bike has 0 hours!

Has anyone traded out FRP guides and found that the aluminum was forged with various bends, causing the alignment problem?

OR

I wonder if the late model KDX's have a slightly different angle of support bracketing?

I appreciate any and all responses. Thanks guys!:(

rad

Feb 13, 2002
FRP chain guides

Maybe you folks have had the same problem that I encountered awhile back. If you ordered your FRP chain guides from White Bros, they have had some problems with labeling the parts with the correct number. When you order a guide for 91 or newer, the package you get has the correct # stuck on it so you try to install it but the part is for 83-88. It simply doesn't fit. The bends are all wrong and even the mounting hardware is wrong also. After I caught the problem with the numbers, I reordered and recieved the correct guide that fit perfectly. Check your installation guide( it has the part # on it) that comes with the guide versus the part # thats on the outside of the package before you try to install.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
can you get replacement plastic guides?

I found the my plastic guide is just about wore threw. can you get replacements? "FRP chain guide"

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Re: can you get replacement plastic guides?

Originally posted by 70 marlin
I found the my plastic guide is just about wore threw. can you get replacements? "FRP chain guide"

A lot of mail order places carry the FRP wear block, or Jeff will sell you one direct. About $8. Also once the block wears down you can flip it 180 and use the other side before ordering a new one. They seem to last about a season.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
been flipped I think.

BRush thanks! mines starting to look like swiss cheese.

:eek:

RTL

~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I talked with Jeff today and he seemed to have heard this story before. He suggested that the mount was welded on incorrectly, which makes sense, except for the fact that the stocker aligns perfectly. But like Jeff said, it is simply two pieces of parallel metal!

I'm working with shims and washers to get the input to match the output...:think

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…