Friction modifiers

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I keep hearing this terminology in the debate on whether or not to use the new Mobile 1 in the gearbox. The discussion seems to suggest that somehow the oil could be so slippery that the clutch would slip. Seems hard to believe. Comments?

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Well we will leave a detailed (and acurate) explaination to the experts - Rich - Jaybird??

However - I have been able to find the "old" Mobil1 w/o the friction modifiers at K-Mart. Maybe due to the fact that they do not sell as much high end oil as some other stores.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I can't prove that friction modifiers will make your clutch slip since I don't use it but.... I beleive that it can and thats why I dont use it.

Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
I have been using Mobil 1 new formula without any clutch slippage. The old Mobil 1 formula had friction modifiers in I believe each viscosity except the 15W-50 but im not positive. Since these oils are used in cars I think that they have Friction modifiers to improve gas mileage (like two strokes, cars have seperate trans. and engine cavities. This means that the modifiers are okay in the engine because there is no clutch to affect). Oil experts, am I correct?

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
However - I have been able to find the "old" Mobil1 w/o the friction modifiers at K-Mart. Maybe due to the fact that they do not sell as much high end oil as some other stores.

Yeah same here. I went to Autozone first and could only find the new formula, then I go across the street to Ames and find a rather large selection of the old stuff. So I took back the SuperSyn formula and ended up with two quarts of the the Tri-Synthetic.

mackay

Jan 7, 2002
On a 2 stroke your transmission and clutch run in the same oil, your crank and top end get their lubrication fron your premixed gas/oil
Thats why most people here seem to avoid oils with "friction modifiers" for their trannies

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…