friend rebuilt his bottom end, and pours smoke!

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
My friend ordered all the parts from suzuki, had everything done properly on his 1993 rm 250 and it's blowing out tons of white smoke now. He said the antifreeze looks a tiny bit cloudy, but we think its oil? It also rev's like crazy when idling, he says. What could the problem possibly be, if indeed everything was done properly? :bang:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Hmmm. Sounds like maybe more than 1 problem. White smoke is antifreeze burning. Should have a distinct odor to the exhaust too. I would make sure the head gasket, probly o-rings, aren't damaged. The high revs would be an air leak somewhere. Look very closely around the center crankcase seal to make sure it's all in place.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Take the radiator cap off and start it, look for air bubbles in the antifreeze. A bad head gasket seal sounds about right. Or, a bad water pump seal and air leak somewhere. Look at the plug, lean? Start the bike and hold a steady idle, then spray non-chlorinated brake cleaner around the intake manifold, case gasket, base gasket and left seal. If it revs up, you found it.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I told him to try the above, and he's going to soon. He said it's deff blowing oil right out the exhaust, and you can smell that its oil burning.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Oil in the combustion chamber, a backwards or damaged right crank seal. But the white smoke would be antifreeze for sure. Kind of a sweet smelling heavy white smoke. The liquid that comes out is black and sticky, both oil and antifreeze will leave that, spooge is spooge, its not supposed to be there.

f4stunter

Dec 18, 2008
I just had to rebuild my new to me cr250 because the PO installed the crank seals backwards. it was spooging bad like you say.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If you look at a parts micro fiche closely, it will show the proper direction they go. Usually, springs to the inside. I believe its Suzuki that makes an odd seal on the right side. If that is what is wrong, it can be changed without tearing it down, or so I have heard? I would take it back apart, what else is wrong?

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
My friend is going to tear it down soon, I bet it is that seal on the right side you are talking about... Where can i find more info on this? Thanks everyone, you guys are awesome!

Top Bottom