B

Jun 29, 2000
Hi Guys,
Im new on your forum but Ive been over in the KDX bit for wa while. Ive been looking for a new bike to replace my aging KDX and have seen a GASGAS EC250 99 and was wondering about a few things.

Do you think it would make a good greenlaning bike? ie would it be a good on/off roader as between trails theres quite oa few roads here in the UK. I know its a good enduro bike but is it a little lively to run in traffic?

Whats your servicing/ parts prices like? Is it an expensive bike to run?

A how does the power hit on this bike? Used to the KDX, Im not sure if I really need a wilder and more tiring bike to ride over long distances.

Cheers B

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
B, all the greenlaning that gets done in the country is a very nice thing considering how the population is crammed on that little Isle of England. As an American living in England I would prefer a 4 stroke bike as a greenlaner since England highways have higher rates of speed and two strokes are not really meant to just be held wide open on the roads at 70 mph. Your area may not have long treks on the road to get to the next greenlane and if so than a 2 two-stroke could be for u. If you would like to go greenlaning farther afield than instead of hauling your bike to the destination, just ride it. Then buy 4 stroke for this purpose. The Gas Gas is a purpose built enduro machine for faster paced riding and to me is more bike than needed for greenlane use. A kdx will be a better option for ease of use and more fun factor on the greenlane and be careful because some law is going to take place that does not allow you to license a kdx off-road bike. So ensure you are buying an already registered bike or contact the ACU for more info.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
Gas Gas bikes are nice. The problem is parts availability. Also, the one I almost bought had a serious design problem. Check the pipe mounting screw on the right side by the gas tank. In many cases, the screw is into the plastic tank, which could be a very serious problem. By design, there is no simple way to cure this since the mounting arm is about 1/16" from the plastic tank. The 250 will have a little more low end than a KDX 200, but I think the KDX 200 might be a little faster on the top end. All things considered, it's a very smooth bike much like the KDX. I recommend a newer KDX or a KTM if you want to change brands.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by JCW
Gas Gas bikes are nice. The problem is parts availability. Also, the one I almost bought had a serious design problem. Check the pipe mounting screw on the right side by the gas tank... The 250 will have a little more low end than a KDX 200, but I think the KDX 200 might be a little faster on the top end.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I've never had a problem with parts availability. There is a local dealer, but I buy everything from Jim Cook at Smackover Motorsports (<--click). On that forum you will also find a solution to the pipe mounting screw problem that affects the '01 and newer bikes. Additionally I came off a KDX 200 that had all the Fredette modifications and could smoke a stock KDX on the top end. Believe me when I say the GG EC250 is faster.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Originally posted by JCW
Gas Gas bikes are nice. The problem is parts availability. Also, the one I almost bought had a serious design problem. Check the pipe mounting screw on the right side by the gas tank. In many cases, the screw is into the plastic tank, which could be a very serious problem. By design, there is no simple way to cure this since the mounting arm is about 1/16" from the plastic tank. The 250 will have a little more low end than a KDX 200, but I think the KDX 200 might be a little faster on the top end. All things considered, it's a very smooth bike much like the KDX. I recommend a newer KDX or a KTM if you want to change brands.
Are you serious? The Gas Gas has a Little a more low end then a KDX 200 and a 200 is faster on top? What was the bike you rode beat to death? The Gas Gas is a far superior bike then a KDX. As far as the serious design flaw cut a 1/8 of an inch off the screw and everything will be just fine. Parts, never had a problem.

B

Jun 29, 2000
Well thanks Guys,

I got the bike home and striped it staight away. Its a bit cosmetically rough but the chassis and motor on this thing is superb. I don't really think its going to be a long term bike like the KDX and Ill buy a newer KDX later in the year but for now the Gasser is the dogs. Ive got a local Gasgas dealer near me so parts are no trouble.

The bottom end on this thing really does pull like a bull on speed and Ive had no problems with climbs that the KDX would stuggle with. The power curve seems very simular to the KDX but far stronger. Still, it will require more maintenance, so everything is a trade off. I still love the KDX though.

TED, I live pretty close to two major areas (Peaks/ Lincs) so riding areas are no problem. Where abouts in Blighty are you based?

Peace.

B

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom