Westex

Dec 21, 2000
Has any one fixed or improved a KDX front brake? I've got a 98 220 and I really don't like the feel of the front. I had a 94 XR 250 and the brakes on that bike were excellent. Has anyone tried braided brake lines, or an oversize rotor? Whats the best fix. I've changed the brake fluid (finally after a year and a half.) I hope that helps. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Happy Trails,
Keith

------------------
When I'm not riding, I'm thinking about riding.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Kawies don't have the best brakes, and they require constant bleeding to work properly. A braided line helps the feel, and an oversize rotor will give better power. Honda has the best brakes in the bizz, so it's no surprise the XR had better brakes.

------------------
1992 KDX 250-FMF porting,two-stage power reeds, Fatty pipe, Power Core silencer,titanium rod,Wiseco Ultra-lite, Pro-Action suspension...Oh my Gawd, they killed Kenny!

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Take things one step at a time. Bleed the brakes,install a good quality DOT4 fluid and swap the brake pads (Honda pads will fit). If that doesn't do it for you then look at a new brake line then the over sized disk.

David

Westex

Dec 21, 2000
Thanks for the info. I haven't ridden since I changed the fluid to a DOT 4. I'm hoping that will help some. I'm thinking about going to the junk yard and seeing if a Honda Master cylinder will fit.

Happy Trails,
Keith

------------------
When I'm not riding, I'm thinking about riding.

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
Spankman, if your brake require constant bleeding, then you've got another problem besides the mediocre Kawie fronts!
It must be sucking air somewhere.

------------------
Dan
'98 KDX 200
St. Louis, MO

[This message has been edited by dhoward (edited 04-17-2001).]

Mik

Jul 8, 2000
I´ve recently changed the brake pads and the brake fluid. After break in, the front brake is now way better. The new fresh DOT4 fluid must have helped, but my guess is that the improvement came essentialy from the new top of the line EBC brake pads.

That said, if you can get a Honda master cilinder, don't hesitate.

------------------
Miguel Queiros
'99 KDX200

Top Bottom