eagles22793

May 25, 2008
I am going to set the rear suspension as soon as I get my bike back together I been doing little stuff to it that is why I have not set the rear suspension yet. Do I release air like a maintance thing or just to setup the front forks? I am sorry I am asking dumb questions but I never really had to mess with the suspension much.

jayhedrick

~SPONSOR~
Mar 10, 2009
Dude just listen to everything WFFR says and you will solve your problem.. If you don't know much about suspension then you don't know that the proper set up on the rear effects the whole bike tremendously and yes that includes THE FRONT WHEEL..

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
eagles22793 said:
I am going to set the rear suspension as soon as I get my bike back together I been doing little stuff to it that is why I have not set the rear suspension yet. Do I release air like a maintance thing or just to setup the front forks? I am sorry I am asking dumb questions but I never really had to mess with the suspension much.

asking how to set up a suspension is not a dumb question.A lot of different performance goals are looked at like some kinda black magic when it is not much more than experience and science mixed together. A lot of great tuners have degrees in science,math,physics,fluid dynamics,
engineering,etc etc plus years of applying these to their specific craft. So it is definately not a dumb question

1st thing you do when you buy a bike especially used it to put in on a stand, and make sure everything is up to snuff,
tires and tire pressures,wheel,swingarm and steering bearings,forks straight, rear wheel straight,everything having a good smooth snug solid feel.

What I like to do is to put everything in the middle of its factory adjustment range, if the sag is ok from 95 to 105mm I set it 100, fork hieght 0 to 10 I set it at 5, clickers halfway out. Go out for a cautious ride and slowly get aggresive trying to feel the bike in assorted scenerios,and isolating the problem areas to a specific cause and then you have a good basis for its correction. Is it a violent headshake when braking, is it a wandering loss of control while accelerating..etc? Now you can try to adjust out the problem and hopefully not create a new one, do one step at a time and think about what the bikes reaction is to the action you are doing. It is time consuming but you don't have to know math formulas for any bike in any situation only how your bike feels to you. When you settle in on a decent feeling bike and if the adjustments are way outta whack with what is normal or if you never achieve a decent feeling bike than you will have to go with springs or valving.Plus you have a more intimate and yet scientific knowledge of your bike and problems so if you have to go and buy someones product or service you can explain the situation better and it will give the tuner a better chance of getting you exactly what you need.

Top Bottom