SterlingYZ

Mar 19, 2003
When you all crash (I know I can't be the ONLY one :) ) do you ever feel like your front wheel has somehow gotten out of alignment? It happened to me... I can't seem to find a bend in the brand new Renthal Fat Bars I put on there before my race, but I seem to have to turn the handlebars a little to the right to get it to track straight. Can this be fixed by loosening the triple clamp bolts and twisting it back into place? I know this can happen and work on mountain bikes, but the front end on MX bikes seems so stiff for this to happen, but yet it does NOT feel straight. Any ideas on what could be causing this? If there are no bends in the handlebars, how else could I get the front end lined up again?

Thanks again,
Sterling

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
yup, forks twist in triple clamps. Should happen on almost every crash.

Make sure you use a torque wrench on the upper and lower pinch bolts, and use the proper torque for each. These are the only bolts I actually use a torque wrench for, as it is extremely important not to overtighten them.

During a race, or weekend ride, for a quick repair, pull the bike up to a tree, and turn the handlebars abruptly to whack the fron tire against the tree to do a quick straighten job......

SterlingYZ

Mar 19, 2003
OK, well that's good to know. I was a little worried. I will try to straighten them out tonight. Little by little, the YZ will be getting race ready again.

Top Bottom