Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I have notices lately that my CR250's forks slide out if i try to turn tight. Is it the K490 front tire? What could I do to the suspension to get it working better? I don't think a re-valve is gonna happen soon, cause I have a few other items to buy.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Could be anything(sort of). Your tire pressure could be too low, tire could wrong for the conditions, suspension too soft(springs and/or compression). If I'm not mistaken the 490 is a hard/intermediate tire.
Anyway, a little more info would help out a lot b/c of the variables.

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
it could be either your frt. end is to high or your rear end to low. Check your sag and if its right raise your forks in the clamps a little.

doc

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Buzz, is the front pushing (ie: sliding over top of berm)? or is it tucking (ie; turning under in tight turns)? It would seem that most of the advise is based on the first scenario, but if it is the other, the causes can be different.

As for the 490 being a "poor tire", that is relative to conditions. In hardpack conditions, the 490 is great tire, but in soft condition you would be better served by a 755 or 756. In my experence, S12s are great in true soft conditions (ie; deep sand), but are awful in anything resembling hardpack.

Buff is right, more info is needed to help really.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Originally posted by shockdoc
it could be either your frt. end is to high or your rear end to low. Check your sag and if its right raise your forks in the clamps a little.

doc

If your rear is too low it won't cause your front to turn in,if your rear is too high it will make it turn in too quick. It is putting more weight on the front.If your rear sag is correct, i would slide the tubes down a couple mm,pushing them up is just going to make them worse.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
The front end is just sort of washing out like I'm on ice. It's not neccessarily in a berm, it's just about anywhere if I try to turn too sharp. In mud, it's terrible, but thats the tire mostly. It was doing it in loose rocky terrain yesterday, and in a grassy field at my friends. It doesn't seem to hook up anywhere. I'm gonna get a 755 from a friend in a week or so, so we'll see if that helps.

Rev

Mar 6, 2001
Hey Guy`s, Buzz has the same question I have, But a different bike. I have a KDX 200 and it does the same thing his does. So I think ours question is what does raising the forks in the triple clamp do to the front end? Mine are at the very top of the forks and my friend (XR400) is down about 1/2 an inch and it turns on a dime.In tight woods the bike is great and by Raising the forks will it change the way it handles in the woods?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Yes by pulling the forks throught the clamps you will sharpen the steering angle and put more weight on the front wheel.This will help it hold a tight line in corners.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Marcus is right on, I think a problem here is terminology. "Raising or lowering" the forks is misleading. Actually what you are doing is raising or lowering the front of the bike. If you slide the forks up in the clamps (ie: more tube sticking out about top clamp), you are effectively lowering the front of the bike, and as Marcus pointed out this will put more weight on front end and steepen steering angle, making it turn quicker. The opposite is true by raising front end (lowering forks in clamps).

If you think of it as rasing and lowering bike, it is much easier to keep track of IMO. In fact I think that shockdoc and bigred are actually saying the same thing, but their terminology makes it sound opposite.

mxneagle

Jan 7, 2001
You may want to slow your rebound down a bit. If its too fast the forks will try to extend after hard braking and push in the corner. The 01 CR250 has this type of problem. I've stiffened the rebound stack and am still running the clicker at 7 out. Also bleed the air from the forks before each ride. This can cause similar problems.

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Originally posted by Buzz Bomb
I have notices lately ...........

You imply this problem has suddenly developed. No changes made to the bike recently? The only time we had this was when stupid suspension company put the wrong springs in the front end. Same problem, front washed out EVERY corner, took stupid me 3 weeks to realise what had happened. Check spring rates front / rear to ensure 'balance'.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I had the same problem until I had both ends revalved, Mx Tech also recommended that I run 90mm of sag, most of the tracks down here are basically out door supercross tracks, the bike turns really well now and has very little tendency to climb out of ruts. I think the only cure for the Hondas suspension is a revalve. Roost on!
01cr250

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Sideways, I've not found too many people mess with the rear on the 01 CR250, ours seems fantastic, whereas the front was solid. We have had the front done but still have problems with headshake and front wheel 'bouncing' from side to side when accelerating hard at higher speeds.

Why did you change the rear and what difference did it make?

We were gonna chop it for a YZ which the boy says feels spot on straight out the crate, but nobody wants a 01 CR250 since the 2002 was announced as 'all new'. Lets hope it's a dud !

Thanks

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
zsr
I think you need to get the bike balanced at both ends, not all of your front end problems are caused by the front end. Coming out of sharp rutted turns the Cr just wasnt putting the power to the ground, the rear wheel would hop and spin. Also the rear shock would fade badly towards the end of a moto just compounding the problem. I was ridding an 01yz250 back to back with my bike and had a friend watching the wheels and he said the yz wheel was staying hooked up and accelerating while the cr was hopping. So i called Mx-Tech (in California) and explained the problem and I asked Steve if he could make the cr suspension like the yz. The bike works 100% better after doing both ends, no head shake, very little push in the front,it hooks up much better and it is much easier to ride. Oh yea get the oil locks installed.
Roost on

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Thanks sideways

yeah I agree and have been saying the same thing, but the consensus of opinion here is that the bike IS now balanced, in stock trim it isn't, depending on weight / ability, you either have to soften the front or stiffen the back.

Sag checks etc. but I totally agree about the back causing problems at the front.

Anyway the boy just quit, so the bike is more than good enough for me as it is. Still wish we'd bought the YZ250 though

Uhhh...
Jun 16, 2001
My friends daughter was killed by it, 23 years old, so not so funny.

zsr jnr quit because of new girlfriend.

He'll learn.

:confused:

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
07, sorry to hear that.

BTW, ZSR, when I said, "I noticed lately..." I don't really mean it just started happening. Bad choice of words I guess.

Top Bottom