TheDnis

Mar 20, 2007
i just replaced my dust seals and oil seals in my front forks... and they didnt last very long at all. I have heard that after the originals go out that nothing will last very long, so i need advice as to what to buy with seals... factory oem or aftermarket? or should i buy new shocks? any advice is welcomed, thanks

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
TheDnis said:
i just replaced my dust seals and oil seals in my front forks... and they didnt last very long at all. I have heard that after the originals go out that nothing will last very long, so i need advice as to what to buy with seals... factory oem or aftermarket? or should i buy new shocks? any advice is welcomed, thanks

When I rebuild forks, I replace dust seal, oil seal, AND the bushings...Also be sure that the seals are properly seated (they can be a PITA sometimes)

Additionally, closely examine your sliders while your forks are apart to ensure there are no nicks in them.

TheDnis

Mar 20, 2007
mandark1967 said:
When I rebuild forks, I replace dust seal, oil seal, AND the bushings...Also be sure that the seals are properly seated (they can be a PITA sometimes)

Additionally, closely examine your sliders while your forks are apart to ensure there are no nicks in them.
hey thanks but why are the bushings important to replace with the seals? is somewhat true that seals wont last very long after the stock ones blow? or is that a myth that comes with a bad rebuild job?

KaBooM

Jan 12, 2004
What really happens is when the fork deflects the bushing and seal take the hit, like a pivot point if you will. This is a big issue of why OEM seals and lower DU bushings do not last and wear down quickly.
The alternative to OEM would be Synergy Seals. They come with a backup ring which sets in between the seal and snap ring. This backup ring protects the seal and the DU bushing during the forks deflection, and most important, it keeps the seal axially straight!!

Good luck, Rob

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
TheDnis said:
hey thanks but why are the bushings important to replace with the seals? is somewhat true that seals wont last very long after the stock ones blow? or is that a myth that comes with a bad rebuild job?

It's probably more so a bad rebuild that caused them to fail prematurely.

Top Bottom