DavTys

Jun 29, 2001
I have an old 1987 KX125 and I am NO mechanic. I haven't purchased a book on it yet (I know, I will!!!). My question is that the front shocks seem too soft! How do I adjust it to be stiffer?
There are clickers on the bottom of the forks and air chucks on the top of the shocks. That is the only two adjustments on the shocks!
How much air should be in them or is that just a bleeder and does it take nitrogen or just compressed air? How do I set the bottom clickers?? Please give me some advice...
Thanks!!!:confused:

cr lover

Aug 6, 2001
you have 3 adjustments on your forks.first turn both clickers clockwise all the way. then turn both clickers ten turns counterclockwise. the reason you turn them both ways is so you know that both forks are on the same settings,and a starting point. if ten clickes is still to soft turn both clickers clockwise one click at a time until its stiff enough. also when you get your manual it will tell you how much air to put in each fork. and third when your manual comes it will tell you how to change and put in the new fork oil. make sure you put in the same amount in both forks. start with the standerd oil level.

DavTys

Jun 29, 2001
Thanks!! I'll give it a try. No idea what the pressure should be in the forks?
Nitrogen, Air? What?:confused:

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Air pressure

Ok, I am certainly no suspension expert. However, I've never heard of a bike's forks that were supposed to have air in them. On my old '83 KDX250 the manual said you could put up to 5psi (I think) into each fork leg. I wouldn't put air in them however. I think you can get better results with clicker adjustments, and oil level. If you are bottoming the forks, you can raise the oil lever slightly.

Jeremy

DavTys

Jun 29, 2001
Thanks, I'll try the clicker adjustments. I was trying to figure out on my own before I got the book, what the air chucks were for on the top. I guess to maybe let out some of the oil??? Told ya I was no mechanic!!! But I'm sure learning alot from everyone here on DRN, Great site for us beginners!!!
:)

cr lover

Aug 6, 2001
just to let you know,nitrogen goes in your shock.i had a 85 490yz and the manual said to put up to 25psi in the forks.i did and i couldnnt tell much difference. the air chuck is not to let out oil. the fork oil drain should be on the bottom of the forks.the compression adjuster should be in the center, opposite end of the air chuck. and the oil drain should be on the bottom but closer to the outside edge of the fork tube.

ps dont put 25 psi in your fork tubes. i was just giving a example

awilson40

Apr 13, 2001
Air pressure....

My 1989 KX125 book says that there should be no air pressure. The bleed screws or air fittings (if you have them) are to bleed off air pressure that builds. My shock is pretty soft compared to my son's 1995 KX125, But I like it.
I think its more in that its a conventional fork. I run 12 clicks of compression
from full soft. Full soft being full CCW as you are looking at the screw.

cr lover

Aug 6, 2001
thanx for the help awilson40. yamaha must have had a dumb idea in 85 to put air in the forks. now days they have air bleed in each fork to let the air out after every race. makes no sence to me.

awilson40

Apr 13, 2001
I remember...

I had a Yahama 650 Maxima road bike that had air fittings on the forks.
I cant remember what pressure to run, but do remember that they speced out a pressure. Pressure in a fork does act like a progressive spring, but to much can blow the seals. Lots of mountain bike forks run air pressure for the 'spring'. My modified RockShock MAG-21 is still the best feeling mtbike shock I have and it's air sprung/ oil damped.

Top Bottom