Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Ok, so I have seen all the black KDX's and it's made me go black as well. So far I have both fenders and the MX plate. The plate is for KX up to 2001. My question is how did you all that have gone this route manage to mount the plate without compromising the bottom 2 fork mounting points on the plate due to the suspension travel. To be more blunt, how do I mount this correctly?

Do the bottom tabs that mount on the forks go above, or below the lower triple clamp. <------ Did you zip-ty these?, or did you fab a mount to actually bolts on the lower triple? Did you ditch either of the front brake routing loops that mount on the triple clamps?

Any help would be great. Thanks.

B.

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Gooby, what top bolt? There are no holes in the top of the plate except for the 2 holes in the tab. And did you mount the bottom above or below the lower triple clamp?

B.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
oops i have the other perhaps older style plate more flat than the one u have i know exactly which one u have sorry mine is a diff setup.on stock forks i had a bracket across the bottom bolted in the holes on the lower trip clamp to bolt my style plate on...again sorry

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
I drilled two holes in the plate at the top to catch two holes in the frame, check my gallery for pics.

I mounted it with 1/2 inch spacers so the brake cable could move freely behind it. My damper holds it at the bottom.

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Thanks for the reply's. Could you also tell me if the plate should sit right on top of the fender, or should it have a gap. Does it really matter? Another stupid q'n, what should the loop on top of the plate hold in? Just the brake cable in back of the plate, or in front. Should it surround all of the cables and wires that are on that side just for neatness's sake as well? Other than zipping it to something behind the plate, how is that tab supposed to stay down? Sorry for so many q'ns but I've never put one of these plates on a bike that this isn't supposed to go on. :)

B.

Cactus Jim

Apr 1, 2002
Tantrum ...... I installed a UFO plate for late model KX's and cut off the top loop and bottom sections that go around the fork tubes (rotary tool w/ cutting wheel). This gave it a very clean look. The plate has one hole at top (center) that fits one in top T-clamp. For the bottom, I drilled 2 holes through the plate to lign up w/ 2 holes in the lower T-clamp. Behind all 3 I used small spacers so the new plate would stick out about 3/8" from the clamps. BTW, it does sit on the front fender, but not bolted. Pictures under "My Gallery".

Good luck ....

Top Bottom