TFR Racing

Nov 8, 2001
I am very frustrated with my forks. I weigh about 175lbs. without gear, I am an intermediate rider, and I have put a 5.0 Shock spring and .42 fork springs in. After lots of testing my rear seems to be pretty good, however my forks are now harsh on most of the breakin bumps and it gives me horrible arm pump. I was wondering if revalving the basevalve would help cure my problem?? I was planning on revavling it myself with the help of a pretty knowledgeable friend.

Are my thoughts about the basevalve wrong??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance!!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I know of a few people who would adgree-the 01 RM needs work on the valving-a few riders have ended up on full soft on comp and rebound.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Removing the bleed shims made a signifigant improvement in my 2002 RM 125.

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
Check your free sag on the forks. I have seen many of the 01's springs sack. .42 may be a bit soft for you also & if they are sacked then will really ride down in the stroke while braking and feel harsh, sepecially if you have raised your oil ht.

doc

TFR Racing

Nov 8, 2001
Yeah they guy at the shop said .42 and that the next rate would be .44 so i went with .42 they didnt seem to raise the forks in the stroke with me on or off the bike. In fact they sag bout 2.5 to 3 inches with me on the bike about the same with the stock .40. Is there any way i can fix them or should i get new fork springs? I used most of my money on the springs and i hope the fork springs were not a total waste!

TFR Racing

Nov 8, 2001
ummm im not sure ive only had them for a couple of rides they are oem Suzuki Springs and are marked .42 thay didnt come with preload washeres or instructions!!

TFR Racing

Nov 8, 2001
Im takin em apart at the end of this week to replace springfs and my plan is to add some preload with some washers and fresh fork oil and seals (mine r blown) I believe the mechanic set my oil level height at 385cc which sounds kind of high to me.

Any more Ideas Thanks!!

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
You might want to replace your bushings too. I will check my notes at work tomorrow and see what the free length should be. I know I had to add extra preload spacers on all the 01 rm's i did. I think they needed to be longer than what OEM specs were.

doc

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom