russ2400

May 11, 2002
i was running a 50/50 mix in my 02 yz125 the plug was tan to dark brown. the last race i ran straight c-12. when i checked the plug it was totally white. i went up 2 main jet sizes ran another practice checked the plug ,no change,totally white again. any clues?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
The garbage from the pump fuel not there anymore so your plug looks cleaner? Not opening the throttle all the way to get on the main jet?

reading a plug correctly is something I am relatively new to so someone else please help fill in the gaps of my statements.

For the jetting you are supposed to look deep down into the plug to where the porcelan meets the body. You should have a small ring of cabon<1mm> anyless you running towards the dangerous side of lean any more you are running rich. Plug readings are only accurate for when the throttle is fully open checking the main jet. The firing tip tells you if the plug heat range is good, the ground prong and center electode should be burning clean but not burnt<hot> or collecting deposits<cold>. I am sure the porcelan color tells you something but I am not sure what yet

russ2400

May 11, 2002
the bike is rode on the pipe all the time, thats why im worried about a white plug. someone told me if you run all race gas you need to adjust the timing anyone ever heard that thanks

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I have never heard of having to adjust the timing but having more octane and a "safer fuel" may allow you to advance in certain circumstances.

It has been my experience and from what I read it is typical to go leaner running c12 from pump. I am not so sure that the porcelan being white<if it is only just clean> is a problem if the tip of the porcelan is blistered or the electrode and ground strap are eroding or melting then it is definately a problem.

I have noticed that my plug is a lot cleaner looking going from pump to c12. The porcelan stays a lot whiter then it used to. I believe what I am looking at in my situation is just less garbage and a cleaner more complete burn so my plug isn't getting "splooged up " for lack of better words. I am only a trail rider though and I am too lazy to jet right on the edge so I am usually just a bit rich most of the time for safety . So don't take my word as law , just maybe helping you decipher if indeed you do have a problem

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom