bortego

Nov 9, 2004
Hey everyone! I just had my '98 YZ 125 engine rebuilt by Eric Gorr and bored and ported it to a 135. I also purchased a V-Force3 Reed Valve to put on the engine once completed. I totally cleaned the carb while the bike was apart replacing all gaskets and vent lines.

The bike is back together and I have taken it to the track the last three weekends. The bike runs great, however, everytime I ride now, when I stop and get off the bike, fuel leaks out of the hose attached to the bottom of the float bowl. I routed the vent lines the only way I know how and it does not seem to make much difference. This happens almost after every session, and when it does a large amount of fuel leaks out. It is not a constant stream, but it is certainly enough to be weary of I think. After a few minutes the leaking stops and everything is okay again. It seems to happen more if I kinda shake the bike. The only changes to the bike are those mentioned above. What am I overlooking?

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Brady

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
This is generally caused by the float level being too high, or something lodged in the float needle assembly. It's worth pulling the carb off, cleaning the float bowl and float needle and well as resetting the float height. The service manual will show you how to set it. You might alos want to check to make sure you didn't get dirt, junk, etc in the gas tank. Any junk in the tank can cause the float to stick open or leak while it's sitting. Drain some fuel into a clear glass and watching for sedimaent to settle out should tell you if there is anything to worry about in the tank.

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
Something to try before pulling the float bowl or entire carb off....

The float sometime sticks, so give the bowl a few solid taps with a hammer, if overflowing continues, launch yourself off a jump or two. If that fails, then pull it apart.

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
He's taken it to the track the last 3 weekends so I'm sure he launched of a jump or two! Hit it with a hammer? I'd hit it with a screwdriver handle if I was going to tap on it. Sounds like your float is either to high or there is dirt in the needle jet as Rich has already mentioned.

buck_y_lee

Sep 22, 2004
Sometimes the float just isn't sitting right and needs some encouragement to correct itself. Bortego said he's been to the track 3 times and it happens ' every time', then 'almost every time'. I'm getting the impression that it's happened once or twice and it was after the carbie had been pulled apart and cleaned. Imho, chances of gunk being in there are less than the float being slightly out of position.

Worth a try before pulling it apart again imho.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom