a leaner oil mix than 24/1. OK, 50 parts gas to 1 part oil and
the ratios vary. My 99 RM 125 smokes quite a bit and
puts out a good amount of spooge. The bike starts on the
first kick and runs great except for some low end bogging
in the higher gears when pulling out of a turn etc. My jetting
is set too rich I assume, I have the clip in the top position
to lean the mixture out but still getting low end bog. Is the
smoke and spooge coming from my fuel/oil lubricating mix
maybe too rich, or is it coming from the carb being jetted too rich. A 24/1 engine has much better lubricating properties than a 50/1 engine. More oil, more smoke and spooge.
Any thoughts.

DBragg

Oct 31, 2005
Are your piston and rings in good shape, you could be burning gear oil. You could try to mix a small batch of fuel and oil, and just give it a try. If it smokes more, try to get some good smoke rings going. Im not a pro or anything but thoughs are some ideas. also, your spark plug should give you a hint.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
DBragg said:
Are your piston and rings in good shape, you could be burning gear oil.

Not in a two-stroke, not because of bad ring sealing. The crank seal can leak and let transmission oil into the crankcase, though.

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
Truckman said:
I know this will get plenty of opinions so here goes. 50/1 is
a leaner oil mix than 24/1. OK, 50 parts gas to 1 part oil and
the ratios vary. My 99 RM 125 smokes quite a bit and
puts out a good amount of spooge. The bike starts on the
in the higher gears when pulling out of a turn etc. My jetting
is set too rich I assume, I have the clip in the top position
to lean the mixture out but still getting low end bog. Is the
smoke and spooge coming from my fuel/oil lubricating mix
maybe too rich, or is it coming from the carb being jetted too rich. A 24/1 engine has much better lubricating properties than a 50/1 engine. More oil, more smoke and spooge.
Any thoughts.

The fuel oil mix ratio has little effect on the amount of smoke and spooge comming out your exhaust. If you have dropped the needle all the way down and are still rich you need to try the next leaner needle. The needle controls 1/4-3/4 throttle so it will have the greatest effect on jetting. Also the slide controls form about 1/8-1/4 throttle. Suzuki should have many optional needles to choose from and possibly a slide or two. If Suzuki does not have many optional carb tuning parts it may be necessary to find other models with the same carb and search there. Sudco has a great selection of tuning parts.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Another factor is the quality of the oil being used. I was using a lower quality oil and got serious amounts of smoke while cold and a never ending black streak on my silencer.

I have switched to a better oil and have minimal cold smoking and no spooge.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Truckman said:
The bike starts on the
in the higher gears when pulling out of a turn etc.

It's a 125. You don't have "low-end". Keep it 1/2 throttle or above and use the clutch more or downshift. Either way, keep those revs up. See this thread:
http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=139732&page=2&pp=10

I like oil and use Yamalube 2R at 32:1 on all my 2-strokes. Adjust jetting for crisp throttle response from idle on up, but don't expect a 125 to actually pull from idle to 1/3 throttle or so, esp. in a higher gear. It'll just rev up cleanly when you pull the clutch in to get the revs up.

Micahdawg

Feb 2, 2001
IT has been my (limited) experience that carb jetting/setting has more effect on spooge control than your premix ratio.

I run a fairly heavy premix ratio at 32:1 and do not get bad spooge at all. It never drips from the head pipe, never from the power valve vent. Rare occasions it will drip from the silencer/pipe connection, but usually all the spooge I see is some "peppering" of the rear fender.

I've noticed that simply adjusting the needle clip position one setting richer has a DRAMATIC effect on the spooge that ends up on the fender. And the bike feels like a pig in general and smokes worse. It's amazing one just one clip position can do.

Anyway, my suggestion is to jet your car/ set your clip position in a more optimal setting if you want to reduce the spooge.

In my case, I've got 100% bone stock jetting and have a pipe/silencer, no air lid, filter, carbon reeds, milled head (250 psi) and the bike is safe with C12. It's about as lean as I care to run it, but in 65 degree weather it won't detonate and I've got probably 35 hours on it.

Might want to compare your jetting to factory and see what's up.

Micah

Top Bottom