Fuel Question?

gjbruny

Feb 7, 2005
when i am done riding for the weekend should i shut off the fuel petcock and run the fuel out of the carb. or should this only be done when storing the bike for the winter?

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
If you are like me and don't know how long it will be before you ride again, then always run the gas out of the carb when you are done riding. Yes, I am from the old school and many will tell you that this is not necessary with modern oils and fuels. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure when you are ready to ride or something like that. I never put my bike up for the winter so I am not qualified to answer that part, but my opinion is to run the fuel out of the carb and then to drain the tank before extended storage. Gasoline does not do well sitting up for months. Gasoline does not do well with repeated temperature changes, so it does better stored at a constant temperature, best place for this is on a concrete slab in the shade, ie on the garage floor. Ride on John

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
Never run the bowl dry! As the bike begins to run out of fuel, it begins to run very lean for a quick second, pulls air and then stalls.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
fundgh, nothing wrong with it. I only drain the bowl for winter storage. Even if I don't ride for several weeks I don't worry about it. You can tell by looking at your main jet or pull the bowl and look at it. You'll get a kind of yellowish coating starting to form. That'll be the tip off.

04kdx200

Mar 30, 2005
I always turn the petcock off when I'm done riding (I don't drain the bowl though)..... I've went up to a month without riding, turn the petcock on..... choke it, one kick and she's camming.... uh I mean purring. * camming= reffering to the KDX idle sounds...... lol

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…