Fuel Shut Off

Bezdelnik

Jun 14, 2001
I wanted to know what you think about turning the petcock off and run the fuel out of the carb (bike still running till it dies of fuel starvation) if you are not going to be riding for 2 or 3 weeks. I ride a 2 smoke. I was thinking it would be better to get as much fuel out of the carb so you wouldn't end up with any oil residue.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
The bad side of that is the fact that you are indeed starving the engine out of gas and OIL! If you are that worried about any oil residue in your bowl, just drain it. Just my $0.02 ;)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I remember reading about this topic before on here but I don't remember all the pros & cons on the subject. I used to run all the gas out of the carb but I got to thinking about the fact that a 2 stroke gets it's lubrication from the oil in the gas so by running till all the gas is gone in essence you run the engine with no lubrication. If I want to drain the carb bowl now I just lean the bike over and let it run out, seems to work well for me.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…