agdchi

Jan 9, 2003
I'm the proud new owner of a '03 KDX220...my first bike ever. Needless to say, I'm still trying to figure out all of the maintenance basics. My question is this....What is the maximum amount of time you can let a bike sit between rides before you need to add fuel stabilizer? Should I drain the fuel tank instead? If so, how is this done? Thanks in advance for any information.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Some added confusion for 'ya...

People that should know say that gasoline starts to deteriorate after a quite short time...like a couple weeks or so. I've been told that the oil in the gasoline of a premix 2-stroke accomplishes the same thing as an aftermarket stabilizer. I don't know about that.

I DO know how well it (stabil anyway) works in 4-stroke engines. I've proven that to myself over and over.

Although it hardly ever sits that long, if my kdx is going to be dormant for over three weeks, I'll use stabil in it. It should be added before the 'sit'...not AFTER sitting for weeks.

If you wish to drain the fuel tank, simply remove the fuel hose to the carb and open the petcock. Noone has ever convinced me that draining the tank is an effective measure against deposit buildup.

Other maintenance issues are far more important. Greasing the suspension (unitrack and swingarm), steering head bearings and wheel bearings will save you $$ later.

Checkout CDave's site for new bike prep tips:

http://justkdx.dirtrider.net

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by canyncarvr
I've been told that the oil in the gasoline of a premix 2-stroke accomplishes the same thing as an aftermarket stabilizer.

It doesn't.

Roland C

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2002
agdchi,

Congrats on your new bike! Since the 220 is your first ride, consider yourself spoiled! Great bike! If you are completely new to motorcycles, there are a couple of tools that will really help out. First, get a service manual. Kawasaki's manual comes highly regarded and will be available from your local Kawi dealer for somewhere in the $25-$30 range. Since the manual is made for a KDX200, you will also need to pick up the 220 supplement, but that shouldn't be much $. Much of the bike is the same between the 200 and the 220. Also, Jeff Fredette has a maintenance video that he made using an '89 to '94 model KDX200 which will show you how to grease all the bearings, change tires, other basic maintenance and what-not. The cost is $50, but if you're new to bikes it is a good investment. It is packed with about 2.5 hours of showing-you-how-it's-done. It is available from http://www.frpoffroad.com

Also, as Canyncarvr mentioned, http://justkdx.dirtrider.net has a lot of really good info for the KDX. Tool around there for a while and you'll pick up lots of great stuff. There is also a search function on this forum where you can do lots of research.

I know I didn't directly address your question, but hopefully it is useful information anyway. I think CC and Rich gave you what you needed. Enjoy the new bike!

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
fuel stabil works in two strokes just like four strokes its cheap and well worth it . just add 1oz per gallon and your ready i use it all year around to keep my fuel fresh......

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Rich------Some years ago I heard that Stabil doesn't work too well with reformulated gas, the kind we buy along the eastern Lake Michigan shores. True?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by geremacheks
Rich------Some years ago I heard that Stabil doesn't work too well with reformulated gas, the kind we buy along the eastern Lake Michigan shores. True?

I don't use pump gas in anything that sits, but nothing jumps out as a reason Sta-Bil wouldn't work, unless there is some chemical antagonist that I'm not considering.
If anything the reformulated fuels seem less likely to break down in general in part because some of the components that oxidize easily (like olefins) have been removed or reduced.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom