Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
It would fun to watch the next generation of 2 strokes develop something in the range of 144cc and 300cc maybe with fuel injection with a maintenance upkeep and price tag that is more in line with what will help keep the sport alive. I love my 4 stroke but I also earn my living as a mechanic and from personal experience keeping a modern 4 stroke in a race ready condition seems to be a bit much for the average consumer.

D

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
I know I am late to post on this one, but a buddy I ride w/ occasionally is also a mechanic (who, incidentally, also recently bought a 250f) and he concurs w/ you. Though he doesn't have too much trouble w/ it, he notes the added complexity and 4T specific tools as a definite hurdle to the average rider out there, also noting the high cost of shop performed maintenance; which is very important on all bike but can be disasterous and very costly on a 4T.

I, personally, prefer 2Ts and hope at least KTM and Yamaha (hopefully Suzuki as well) will keep 2Ts around and look at new technologies which will improve and clean up 2Ts for future MX'ers!

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Evenrude has a fuel injected two stroke outboard engine that has less emissions than a 4 stroke, go figure...

They even claim zero maintenance for three years and no break in time required.

ysr89

Dec 4, 2007
^The technology IS out there for 2 strokes to overtake 4 strokes, but 2t's don't sell. I don't want to turn this into a 2 vs 4 stroke thread, that's been done 1000 times already. I personally am a 2 stroke guy, especially due to costs involved in the modern 4 strokes, but I don't know why 2 and 4 strokes can't coexist. Some will argue that 4 strokes are more advanced, which they are, and perform better but m ost riders will never use a 250 2 stroke or a 450 4 stroke to its full potential anyway. We're all out there to have fun, who cares if someone prefers 4 strokes over 2 strokes or vise verca?

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
Well stated ysr89. It would be nice to the 2 motor formats coexist. I've read about alot of the clean technology out there for 2Ts and it seems it has been established that 2Ts can be made cleaner w/o major power loss. Likewise though, the complexity increases w/ preasurization and/or DI. Still, it looks like 4Ts are going that way anyways, so why not keep the 2Ts going w/ modern tech and allow us all the choice??

Like you said, the majority of folks out there never will take a 450 or even a 250 2T to the limits anyways. Why not keep diversity in the market? I guess it all boils down to R&D money and manufacturing costs... I'll keep hoping!

Top Bottom