Mike McGlade

Jan 13, 2000
I just changed my gearbox oil and I was surprised to see that only about 8 ounces or so came out. I had about 75 miles since the last oil change and it was serviced to the limit at that point. I don't see any external leaks but I do notice an abnormal amount of spooge in my tail pipe and it is doubtful that is from being jetted too rich since I have gone to great lenghts to jet correctly after my recent engine rebuild/modification at Fredette's. Is it possible the clutch side seal is bad, and if so, will I be able to change it without splitting the cases? I cannot tell by looking at the service manual but it looks like the seal is on the inside of the flange for the seal seat indicating that the cases may have to be split. Please someone, tell me otherwise.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
That oil is going somewhere and if it isn't leaking out the case externaly, then it is internally. Pull the ignition side cover off and look for oil there too. My guess is that you are needing new crank seals. My advise, unless you are familiar with splitting cases is to remove the engine, strip off the top end and drop off at the repair shop. I've paid around $100 for the labor and gotten back the next day in the past. Well worth the money in my book compaired to the hassle.

Mike McGlade

Jan 13, 2000
Thanks for the reply but the left side seal does not seal out gearbox oil since that side is the shaft for the magneto. If that side was leaking, the bike would be lean and if anything, I would notice fuel leaking from that seal when the mag cover was off. So my question ramains, can the right side seal be changed without splitting the cases???

kdxquebec

Mar 16, 2002
If you are sure of the problem,you will have to split the case to change your clutch side seal.At this point change your left seal too.I did this job 2 years ago.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Hi Mike, I was refering to 2-stroke oil from the fuel, with the fuel being evaportated off. It would just tell you if both sides have bad seals or just one. If that seal goes, I'm also thinking that it might run lean PLUS it is sucking in unfiltered air to wear the top end as well. Mine leaked on both sides when I had it changed. I had pulled the shift side cover off to rewind for more wattage and that was how I discovered the problem. What year bike do you have anyway? Does anyone have any thoughts on why they fail and if there is any way to avoid or put off through maintenance?

Mike McGlade

Jan 13, 2000
Thanks again, I will pull the mag cover to investigate further. By the way, it is a 98 220 that has been ported, head milled, 36 mm carb, boysen reed, FMF rev pipe and boy does it go! It also pulls way down low thanks to the magic of Fredette's porting.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom