ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
I have been wearing Alpinestars for many years. A couple years ago, I tried the SG1, they will be my new mainstay.

e.myers

May 7, 2001
ochster,
guess that says it all huh?
I know some of you other guys out there have some opinions about this.
Thanks,
Eddie

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Equiptment fitting is very subjective, as everyone has slightly different requirements. I'm 5'6" 135lbs., with decent size calves, skinny ankles, wide tow box. These boots fit me like a glove, and were not overly bulky or heavy. I'm a huge fan of the Tech 8's for thier protection when Moto-X, but don't like the weight/bulk in my size (8). When playing all day, I would reach for the Tech 7's. I consider both of these boots very good, just the SG1's fit like they were tailored, and build quality is super.

kenkfish

Dec 16, 2000
l too was an Alpine Star user, until I got my first pair of SG1's. The SG's are the best boot I have ever used. Of course personal preference and fittment are important. I really like the lack of bulk with these boots, and they have worn exceptionally well.

e.myers

May 7, 2001
kenkfish, ochster.
Thanks for the reply. Iwas beginning to think nobody owned these boots.
I read something somewhere about the soles being the "most durable",
noticed they had aluminum buckles and went from there.
Very little info out here on these boots that I can find.
Eddie

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
I've got a new pair of SG-1's on right now, breaking them in for the weekend. They feel real nice. I'm coming from Tech-8's, and really liked them. My main reason for changing is getting help from Gaerne (one of my few true sponsors :confused: ). It was nice to have replaceable inserts on the Alps, but they wear out so quick.

Looking forward to likin' these SG-1's!

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
MX, you won't be wearing out those Gearne soles like the Alps...insert or no. I don't think there is a better sole on the market than the Gearnes.

kenkfish

Dec 16, 2000
Speedway, yes the Asterisk work well with the SG's. In fact I firmly believe that the brace fits and feel best when it is not strapped too tight by the strings but held in place tightly by the top of my SG. This does not cause the binding behind the knee that I feel when I tighten the strings. What everbody else said about these boots is absolutely true. I envy MXFGuy, he has a great sponsor with Gaerne, but I would pay more(even though you don't have to) for these boots.

Ken

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Thanks Ken, I appreciate the info. I think I am going to try them out. I've been using 15 tear old JT Racing boots that are almost rotted away. I'm sure this will be a big improvement.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
SG-1 Ride Report

I got a good weekend of riding with the new SG-1's. Overall, appears to be a quality boot with good fit. Comparing to the Tech 8's, here's what I think:

Good:
-Lighter weight
-Less bulky
-Buckles easier to adjust and do/undo (that's a highly technical term)
-Lower price

Bad:
-Not quite as "cushy feeling"
-No removable inner bootie (no, not THAT kind of bootie!)
-Break-in period not as comfortable

As for the sole life, we'll just have to wait a few months and see.

endo426

Feb 9, 2002
I wore sidi boots for years and then bought a pair of Gaerne's. I love the booots but, parts are hard to find. When I broke a buckle I couln't find a replacement. A fox buckle ended up substituting. Of course there was the duct tape remidy untill I found the fox buckle. :)

Top Bottom