Gainsville Powersports in Gainsville, TX

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Well, I hate that I am doing this, but I feel I need to vent a bit here....

Here is what lead to my flame of this dealership:

Friday night (4/8) I am prepping my bike for a Saturday ride. We are headed to Lake Murray, OK. While prepping my bike I notice what appears to be a crack on my shifter just below the pinch bolt. Ugg. This can't be good. I loosen the bolt to inspect it further and sure enough, it was broken. The good news is I found the problem while I was in the garage instead of being 30 minutes from camp. The bad news that I didn't have a spare and it was 9:30 at night.

I spend the next hour looking up part numbers and dealerships that are on the way. I have a very complete list of part numbers and 2 dealerships along the way (we left at 7 am). One of my buddies is further up the road, so he hits the dealership in Ardmore as soon as they opened. No bueno. A Honda dealership without a shift lever for a CR250. Whodatunkit? We stop off at Gainsville Powersports in hopes that we can cross-reference the part. They had whopping total of 3 shifters in stock (and none fit). Wow. I guess these things NEVER break or they'd stock them. Then I noticed that this dealership had 2 used CRs on the floor. I make a fair offer to purchase a lever off of one of the used bikes for $40 cash. They can order a new one and have it there by Monday or Tuesday and still make money on the sale.

"Nope. Can't do that..." said Greg, their illustrious sales manager.

"Why" I asked.

"I might sell the bike today" he said

"You have 2, take the shifter off of what ever bike that is left and that way you are covered. This is my last hope here..." I say. "Anywhay, it is only a $15 dollar part, Tucker Rockey can get a new one to you Monday or Tuesday at the latest. I am offering you $40! All I want to do is go ride. Please help me out!"

"Nope. Can't do it." says Greg.

"You have two CRs, do you really think that you will sell both of them today?" I asked

"I might..." said Greg. "I can't sell you the part"

At this point I realize that there is indeed a big difference between "I can't" and "I WON'T". :pissed:

This guy has no concept of customer service. I am no gambler, but I think that the odds that he would be selling 2 used CRs on that very Saturday were slim to none. However I do think that any gesture to help out a rider and strive towards the concept of "customer service" would have gone a long way. I guarantee if he'd been willing to help I'd have told everyone what a great shop they run had I seen even a glimmer of custer service. Now, I am doing just the opposite.

Short sighted money hungry dealers with no concept of customer service should be called out in public. Gainsville Powersports - you have been called out.

BTW- I did get to go ride (no thanks to Greg at Gainsville Powersports). I found a local trailer shop with a heli-arc welder and for $10 I got my shifter fixed. A new one is on order and the repaired one will now serve as my backup....
And in the future, Gainsville Powersports will not get any of my business or referrals.

-jeffd

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I know it is frustrating but honestly if I was a customer and went into a showroom and saw a bike for sale (even if it was used) without a shifter I would wonder what the heck was going on.

Some customers go in, look around and do not ask questions even if the salesman comes right up to them.

I would have done the same thing if I was in his shoes regarding selling a part off an existing bike.

However, he probably could have offered some alternatives, checked in the shop, etc. Service Honda had done that for me in the past and Upstate Cycle does it all the time for me.

I'm not saying the guy wasn't a royal pain b/c he may have been but I never would sell a part off a bike I had on display.

Ivan

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Sorry dawg, I gotta go with Ivan on this one. While it would have been great customer service had he pulled a shifter off, I don't think it can be considered bad service because he wouldn't. That being said without knowing how he dealt with it, demeanor, etc.

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
I don't know the rest of the story, but it sounds like the sales guy didn't try to help much. It sounded like he only focused on what he couldn't do rather than what he COULD do for you.

I would've asked to talk to the store manager, sales people don't usually lean toward actual (vs. perceived) customer service.

In the end though, you gave a nice guy $10 and avoided giving an (apparently) not-so-nice sales guy $40 :cool:

Like Okie says though, we don't know the demeanor, etc. of the encounter, but definitely glad to see you were able to find a solution :)

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Greg at GPS was pretty smug about the whole thing. Like I said - there is a big difference between CAN'T and WON'T. He offered no help what so ever. Just smug replies. Now the guys at the trailer shop that welded the shifter for me know customer service. They got it fixed, were glad to help out, and were genuinely enthusiastic that they could help resolve the problem. Wow. What a concept.... Customer service, good attitude, and a reasonable price. Hell yes, I'll let anyone know about T&T trailers that needs a trailer repaired or anything of the sort. And hell yes - I'll shout it from the rooftops that GPS is unclear on the concept of customer service.

BTW - There were several other folks in the dealership that watched the whole thing and they were just as blown away as I was at the total disregard for customer service and crappy attitude that Greg exhibited at GPS.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
I was in my local dealership looking for a gas cap for my 02 Husky. They didn't have one in stock but I mentioned they had a new '02 on the floor with a gas cap that didn't look like it was going anywhere since the bike's been there 3 years already.Similar situation to your's Jeff. His reply made sense to me. He said there was an agreement with the manufacturer's not to part out whole bikes. I realize selling one shifter or one gas cap is not really parting out the bike but he was very adamant that if was part of their dealership agreement.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
COLEMANAPP said:
I was in my local dealership looking for a gas cap for my 02 Husky. They didn't have one in stock but I mentioned they had a new '02 on the floor with a gas cap that didn't look like it was going anywhere since the bike's been there 3 years already.Similar situation to your's Jeff. His reply made sense to me. He said there was an agreement with the manufacturer's not to part out whole bikes. I realize selling one shifter or one gas cap is not really parting out the bike but he was very adamant that if was part of their dealership agreement.

These were USED bikes in my case. He had 2 used CR's (one was very well used too, if ya get my drift) - so in this case that scenario would not apply. My disdain comes from this guy's smug attitude and unwilling nature.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Any possibility they were there on consignment as a favor to buyers of new bikes? Our local shop often doesn't take in used trades but will put them out on their floor on consignment. If that is the case he could be in trouble for taking parts off someone elses bike.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
That sucks. The ex-Sales Manager at Motion offered me a part off of his personal bike once since they didn't have something in stock. I didn't need it that bad, but I was blown away by the gesture nonetheless.

I'm kinda 50-50 on this issue to tell you the truth. Yes, you would think that they could have taken the shifter off, and replaced it later; however, if I was a customer looking at that bike, I woulda been pissed off if there were no shifter! The attitude I definately could have done without. Attitude coming from sales people simply amazes me, I remember where employees give me crap about stuff, and I simply don't go back there anymore.

I think the real underlying issue here is how come there was no shifter in stock. That's what really bugs me. Maybe I'm spoiled because my local dealers have always kept lots in stock (Motion when I rode a Yamaha - who even kept KTM oil filters in stock for me for a while after I switched, and TJ's now who always seems to have everything I need), but I think that's ridiculous.

Broken Spoke

Mar 1, 2004
If I was in that dealership and were really interested in buying one of the used bikes, I would ask why there was no shift lever. When it was explained to me, I think that I would be impressed by the customer service. Plus, If I did buy the bike, I would be getting a new shift lever.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Like I said - there were 2 used CR's (One looked like it had been rode hard and put up wet). Heck at the time, the lever off of that one would have been great.

The dude's attitude was poor - plain and simple. For the bike to sit for one day minus a shifter is no biggie IMO (esp. when there is another bike that could provide a shifter in the event that either of the CRs was being considered for purchase). A new shifter could have been ordered and delivered by Tuesday AM at the latest (and at the $40 offer price I extended, they'd have still made money).

I agree with that comment, Spoke - If I were to come in and look at a bike, then hear how the dealership provided customer service at that level I'd have no beef. I'd be impressed to know that they are there to make customers happy and solve problems.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I'm in Jeff's camp!

I blew a couple fuses on my Dodge while pulling horses about 7 hours away(trailer shorted out). After trying Napa who did not carry these fuses I went to a local dealer at 6pm, Parts counter was closed and nobody could help. The people in the showroom said they couldn't get into the parts room, Sales Manager asked what my problem was, after I explained he marched right out to a brand new truck and pulled the fuses.
Said he can get a new ones when parts opens in the morning!
Needless to say If I lived in the area I would be a dedicated customer!

Sometimes customer service can go a long way! Look what it got Gainnsville?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'll side with Jeff a bit here too. Hell, my local yamaha dealer pulled parts off of NEW bikes on the floor to get us running at times!

If the guy wanted to make sure he could sell the bike, put the boogered shifter on it and tell the guy you'll replace it before he takes ownership. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
hell jeff
you could of come by the house on the way to murray. i would of loaned you my shifter off my cr. remember that for next time because i might hit you up for the same thing. not that our crs break that often.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
XRpredator said:
I'll side with Jeff a bit here too. Hell, my local yamaha dealer pulled parts off of NEW bikes on the floor to get us running at times!

Yep, I've had the same treatment at my local KTM shop. I made the mistake of going to the local Honda dealer because I needed a new radiator cap fast and the Honda place is closer. (One size fits most) I got there and the parts guy said he was completely out of radiator caps. NONE available at ANY temp rating. :think: After that, I called a guy at the KTM place and asked if he had a rad cap and that I was desperate to get one. He said and I quote; "I'm not sure if I have one, but go ahead and come on down right now. I'll pull one off a new bike if I have to." That guy and that dealership has won my respect. And that's not the only thing they've done to go out of their way(s).

**Note: Just because one is a Honda dealer and one is a KTM dealer has nothing to do with the topic. It just ends up that our Honda DEALER here in Austin is worthless. :bang:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I bought a used jeep once from the local jeep dealer. I swear I spent my last penny on this thing.

Two hours later I was in aparking lot with a dead battery. I called the jeep dealership. They sent out a wrecker. He jumped me and I went back to the shop. The service manager pinted to a lot boy and said.."Get this guy a battery. Take it out of this one....and pointed to a jeep on the showroom floorm, brand new." He then spent the next minute saying how sorry he was for selling me a used Jeep with a bad battery.

I own a Yamaha. If I apply your situation to my area, I believe the only shop that would help me is the local KTM dealer. It is run by guys who care about riding. The rest are in business only for the money.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I'm split on this situation. My local dealer does that for me but i've been a good customer of theirs for about 6 or 7 years now. They've pulled nuts, bolts, plastic, etc. off of new bikes in the showroom for me. They even pulled out a swingarm pivot bolt off of a used one for my buddy's bike so that we could go riding (he wasn't a customer there). However I wouldn't really expect a dealership that I don't frequent to do that for me. It doesn't hurt to ask but it's not surprising, IMHO. If they would have, that would be outstanding.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
...or given ya a Coke and a smile. :)

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
I'm with Jeff on this one. I sure wouldn't make a customer beg for me to help them. If I couldn't help I'd see if I could find some one who could. If Macey's doesn't have one maybe Bloomingdales does.

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
One thing to remember about the the Jap bike dealers is that they're focused on sport bikes and the big ticket items. I'll bet he'd have tried a little harder if you'd needed a part for a 'Rune'. I've noticed that at any of the local dealships around here all the sales guys kinda lurk in the street bike area and when you walk by, they watch you until you get past the ATVs, then you become invisible to 'em when you look at a dirt bike. That's probably why the KTM guys seem to be more in touch, they don't carry street bikes (just the $ tags).

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
OldTimer said:
That's probably why the KTM guys seem to be more in touch, they don't carry street bikes (just the $ tags).

I like this myth that KTM's cost more, keeps the resale price high on my bike. :cool:

I have only one experience with GPS, they dropped what they were doing and helped me try to resolve a sticking throttle slide on a KX250. But it was the service folks that helped me, not the sales goobers.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
OldTimer said:
One thing to remember about the the Jap bike dealers is that they're focused on sport bikes and the big ticket items.

I don't think that applies to all dealerships but it is the reason why my son is racing another season on a 125 instead of getting a 250F. We have long been a Suzuki family due to a great dealer but felt for competitive reasons he needed to be on a 250F. Long story for another thread but I wasn't prepared to buy a Zook 250F so we were going to buy the Honda. I went to our local Bike show with the intent to leave with the paperwork done for an 05 CRF250R but after basically having to beg a salesman to talk to me and then being made to feel I was keeping him from a potential Goldwing customer while I asked questions he couldn't answer I walked. We went back to our great zook dealer and bought an 05 RM125. I will not beg a dealer to take my $8000 (CDN) after taxes for a new scoot. Especially when I know after sales service and parts will be a similar story.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I'd say I was on Jeff's side as well. If I was going to buy a CR I would not be riding it that day anyway so I would have no problem waiting for a new part to arrive. They could use the other shift lever for a test ride if need be. If they explained that it was to help a rider I would see good costumer service and might be a little more apt to buy a bike if I was looking somewhere else for one. A Good Stealership goes a long way (they take less money than the rest). :)

Top Bottom