barryreese

Mar 6, 2002
Im a beginning rider. Been riding for little over a month. I was thinking about purchasing one of Gary Semics books or videos. I was wondering which one or ones would be best or a beginner such as the practice manual or his Everything Techniques video?

Does Gary Baily have any good books or videos?

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
I bought the practice manual for my boys a couple years back along with one tape. I think it was the Techniques one. They pull the tape back out now and then, never really used the manual, really nothing in there that wasn't on the tape.

tchamberlain

Mar 28, 2002
I think his practice manual is ok as a reminder for body position. Video I have on jumping and whoops is decent, but I am not buying another. Best thing I did was take a private lesson with a pro racer and he taught me a lot and gace me plenty practice drills. It was money well spent.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
The techniches 1 video is real good for beginners. It might seem like its a little basic and bad acting, but its not meant to be entertaining. Watch it and study it, you will learn a lot. It will save you a crash or two!

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I have the book, its pretty good. Picked it up at borders for 20 bucks. I would rather have spent the money on a video though, its kinda hard to get the message across in a few pictures.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by dell30rb
II would rather have spent the money on a video though, its kinda hard to get the message across in a few pictures.

That is where reading comes in.

I prefer a book b/c it is easier for me to remember written instructions. A video is good but I found the book very helpful and refer back to it many times when I have questions.

Ivan

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I like the book because I can take it to the track, and use it to practice things. I bought a video, and I think I learned more because I could see what the rider was doing every step of the way.

Its really best to have both, but If i was going to get only one thing, it would be the video.

EdLennon

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
I've got the book and videos #1, #2 and #7. I'll have to watch it again this weekend and report back. It's been a while since I have watch them.

I like to book too, it is great to carry just about anywhere and re-read a section over and over.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I picked up Pro-Motocross and Off Road Motorcycle Riding Techniques by Donnie Bales with Gary Semics and I really like it. What really brought a lot home for me was the Ladies Ride School up in Oregon taught by Nicole Bradford and Kerrie Brokaw. If you can go to some type of local riding clinic, I would highly recommend it. You'll get critiqued and corrected til you get it right and you'll probably have a blast too.

As for this book I have, I like it very much. A book is good to refer back to til something clicks.

flo

Feb 23, 2002
My advice is, if want to learn from the videos, than buy the ones from Mr. Bailey, his videos are much better then the ones came from Gary and are only informations not clips with dogs and tenis players etc.Here we have no MX schools so i tried to learn from the better video.I have from both.I have also the book from Gary and it had desapointed me.

smooth sail

Dec 10, 2001
I've got videos 1 and 2. Both are definitely a little dated, but the info is good. The practice book is always in the box that goes with the bike. My boy just completed a Semics 2 day class at his home in Lisbon, Ohio. There isn't a video, or a book that can demonstrate like an instructor. His track is awesome, and of the 12 hours of class time, nearly 10 hours was on the track, practicing the drills that were taught. He said he was working on updating the video's, so you may want to wait a bit, and call for their release date. I can recommend his class without reservation. He may be 47, but Gary can still catch more air than some Pros I have seen. The bonus was when Brock Sellards arrived for some track time. The class had some fun chasing him around, but everyone simply lined up and watched in awe as Brock and Gary chased each other for about 20 minutes. Semics was on a bone stock KX-125, and Sellards had one of his practice bikes. There was about 4 seconds difference in their track times, with Sellards being quicker. Brock's advise- "Gary knows what he is talking about. Just keep practicing what he taught you, and you will be a faster rider."
Smooth

Top Bottom