DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Originally posted by Cam Mitchell
drz mick:

How about plugged carburetor circuits, faulty triple clamps, misc. engine oil leaks, wheels that can't stay together, etc. etc. that the factory turned out less than two years ago, some of which still being turned out with current models?

I guess your KTMs aren't so perfect after all. Sorry to burst your bubble, there are plenty of poor KTMs out there too, not to mention every other brand.
Don't forget them gear boxes. which gear do they like to eat up, is it 2nd?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Since this is turning into a 2nd grade type argument,..
It won't for long.

That being said, I loved my KTM but I also would be happy with a GasGas. As long as I had a bike I think I'd have a smile on my face. As far as "poor" bikes, please! Not even the all mighty Honda can claim to have never had a pooch.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Ok, I stand corrected. However, would you please direct me to the webpage, or magazine report that has all of this information in it. If my bike is going to explode at some future time I want to order parts now to avoid the rush.

Mully

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
Road tripped to Iowa City Motorsports this past weekend to check out Gas Gas for the first time. They had two '02 on the floor, a 250 and a 300. Very impressed. I own two KTMs and i would have to say that the quality is very comparible between the two. I will definately be looking at the Gas Gas this spring when their F.I. 450 hits the showroom floor!
Sounds interesting doesn't it!
By the way, Rod at the store was very easy to talk to and genuinely seemed like he cared without actually spending any $.

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
Gas Gas for the first time. They had two '02 on the floor, a 250 and a 300. Very impressed. I own two KTMs and i would have to say that the quality is very comparible between the two. I will definately be looking at the Gas Gas this spring when their F.I. 450 hits the showroom floor!
By the way, Rod at the store was very easy to talk to and genuinely seemed like he cared without actually spending any $.

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
Road tripped to Iowa City Motorsports this past weekend to look at
Gas Gas for the first time.
They had two '02 on the floor, a 250 and a 300. Very impressed. I own two KTMs and i would have to say that the quality is very comparible between the two. I will definately be looking at the Gas Gas this spring when their F.I. 450 hits the showroom floor!
You'll find this hard to believe but my buddy, true blue Yamaha guy was also impressed.
By the way, Rod at the store was very easy to talk to and genuinely seemed like he cared without me actually spending $.

gusgas

Apr 10, 2002
Originally posted by euro gasgas
Unfortunately, the newer '03 pipes will not fit on older models. For '03 they shifted the motor forward (10mm?) to make the front end bite even better... (which is kind of hard to imagine...)

Just to point out that the motor has been shifted forward just for the new 450 4strokes.

The only frame change for'03 2smokers is a closer front end angle to improve cornering.

gusgas
'03 gg 250 ec (ohlins forks)

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
I heard that the engine placement had changed for the 2 strokes from folks at u.s. gasgas - also from a gasgas press release that is on motomerlin.co.uk.... It says...

"Generally speaking the main innovation affecting the 4-stroke GAS GAS bikes is a variation in the engine position, which has been taken forward by 8mm and, making the bike more maneuverable, specially in corners.

The different engine position also affects the 2 strokes, with different chassis geometry and a significant improvement in stability..."

I heard that the geometry was raked out just a tad and then the motor was moved forward. More stable at speed due to rake and still steers well due to more forward weight bias in '03.

jeff
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Originally posted by munch

You'll find this hard to believe but my buddy, true blue Yamaha guy was also impressed.

Thats funny,...I dont find that hard to believe :think:

gusgas

Apr 10, 2002
Jeff, I had an '02 ec 250 with a Messico racing pipe that I took off before swapping into an '03 that comes with a gg manufactured pipe (in Spain).
Had no problem at all, it fitted the '03 the same way as the '02.

gusgas
'03 gg 250 ec
'02 gg 280 txt (trial)

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
Thanks gusgas - it's good to know that my doma pipe will fit on the '03 - I am thinking about picking one up - although my '01 w/ ohlins forks is pretty well set up...

How does the '03 handle relative to your older bike. I heard from someone over on the smackover board that the front of the motor was dropped down slightly in the frame + geometry changes.

thanks,
jeff
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club

matt ruiz

Jan 10, 2002
I would like to thank everybody for all replies. I am going to purchase a gas gas. My next big ? is do I go with another 250 or step up to a 300. I currently ride a 95 Yamaha WR250Z. I do have a lot of money into the suspension and after market parts. I only trail ride, but would like to try some local hare scramblers or enduros. I often wonder if a new bike could make me much faster or is it all in my head. Once again you guys are most excellent. Thanks in advance. Matthew Ruiz

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
From what Ive heard is that the 250 has less low end torque in exchange for more top end than the 300. I am VERY pleased with my 300. It has more than enough power for me, yet I dont think I would want to lose any low end. It also has quite a bit of top end for the amount of low end. Bottom line, power everywhere! As you start to climb in rpm's you think "man, will this thing ever stop pulling?" then there is a mild hit (I think its the powervalves opening) at about 3/4 throttle and you just accelerate even faster. It is a cool feeling. I would choose the 300.

gusgas

Apr 10, 2002
Originally posted by bultokid
hey gusgas- know anyone that has tried an '02/'03 MC250 ? thanks for your reports happy holidays

Nope sorry, read a test of an '03 MC250 where the riders didn´t like the 4 speed gearbox (too much gap between 2nd and 3rd).

Jeff, just found out about this moving engine forward stuff: aparently they dropped the motor down the frame, as you said, for the MC but not for the EC.

I´ve noticed an improvement in cornering with the '03 but I feel the front end a bit looser than the '02.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
The '98 MC250 I rode also had the 4-spd, which was the only thing I didn't care for. The engine was excellent, probably the fastest 250 I had ever ridden. I rode it back to back with a modded '97 CR250 (massive top end) and two modded '98 KX250's (one PC, one FMF). The stock GasGas had more motor than any of them, and they weren't shabby at all.
I found that 2nd gear was usually too low, but 3rd needed too much clutchwork.

I was thinking about getting a '02 GG MC250 before I bought the TM. The dealer was going to special order me one with the EC 6-spd transmission, and Ohlins forks. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to order one yourself with the 6-spd, if you don't mind waiting a couple of months to get it.

I was told that the frame is beefed up on the MC, although I haven't seen a new one in person.

alexhs

Dec 10, 2002
I had decided to buy a 400 Gas gas, but now find the 450 available for little more. Has anyone ridden one of the new 450's or seen any reviews/reports. Any help much appreciated.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I've been told that one of the French mags have tested one...but alas, I do not have access to them...even if I could read french ;)

From what I understand the 400 is continuing to be manufactured for the more "recreational" crowd and the 450 is for the serious racer types. I understand it comes with the higher compression piston, different cam and larger bore. Everything else is the same, so it should have different power, but same handling characteristics.

I spoke to some experienced riders who rode the latest 400 and said the fuel injection was almost like traction control, allowing throttle modulation beyond any carburated machines they had ever ridden.

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Matt,

I rode a WR 250 for 5 years before jumping ship to a GasGas EC200. I LOVED my WR, but it suffered in a few areas. The WR was an EXCELLENT desert bike, the motor had more power than I knew what to do with. The suspenion was keeping the bike from being a total package. I had a small amount of change into the suspenion also.

I FEEL the mighty 250 had just to much hit and was hard to handle in the tight stuff. My WR motor was pretty much stock except for the big Moose flywheel to try and calm it down. I felt that I could NOT ride the bike smooth in the woods, but in the desert it was a JOY, the more open the trails were the better the bike was.

The GasGas 200 was a nice step down from the 250. The compact frame and soft suspension of the GG was pefect for blazing through the woods. The motor on the 200 pulls very good off the bottom and will rev to the moon. I love the 6 speed tranny w/ a very low 1st gear. The steering is spot on and repsonds very quickly to rider input.......sometimes to quickly!!!

I've had the little 200 in the desert a few times and just had an excellent time on the bike.

If you would like more info drop me an email...

Rick
AMA
D-36
99 GasGas EC200

Top Bottom