mark76

May 5, 2002
I visited a gas gas dealer earlier today, the 200 looks wicked. Can anyone who owns one give me there opinion on the bike? how does it compare to the ktm 200? I'm looking for a new bike for enduro/hare and hounds. The ktm is a proven bike but i know nothing about the gas gas. Any viewpoints appreciated. ;)

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
If you do a search you'll probably find a bunch of info in this since this is a familiar question. I'll throw in my 2 cents since I had a '98 KTM 200exc and then a '99 GasGas EC200 and now ride a '02 XC200.
They are both excellent machines and I could be happy riding either for racing. Right now I'm happier with the Gasser.
Don't think the GasGas is unproven; around here they are very common and have done very well at races.
The KTM had a pretty good mid-range hit were the GasGas seems to be more linear.
I found that parts were cheaper for the GasGas and easier to get. That may be different where you live.
The GG seems to turn easier in the tight stuff and is more stable at speed.
The ergos are more compact on the GG and more spread out on the KTM.
I like the KTM better in that area.
The GG has more top speed (both are 6 speeds but I think the GG's ratio spread is slightly wider).
The best way to decide of course is to get a test ride on both but I don't think
either one would let you down.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I don't own one myself (yet anyways), but have ridden a friends 2002 EC200 on several occassions. Mark is right, it is a very nice bike. I haven't ridden the KTM but I can tell you that the GG feels very light and easy to turn, particularly in the tight stuff. I found the ergos surprisingly good (coming off a CR), and much better than the Japanese woods bikes (WR, XR, etc). Motor is smooth, with lots of power and the suspension just seems to beg you to go faster. I can honestly say I was very impressed. Back to back with a 2002 WR250F (because that was the other bike I got to ride back to back and seems to get rave reviews), the GG really kicks butt.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
the gas-gas is better for real nasty sloppy conditions
due to there more like a tracter the ktm is closer to an
mxer who ever says the kdx has the best low end
has not ridden a gas-gas i have (99 200 ec) i chose the ktm

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
i agree that the gas gas bikes do turn better than the KTM's, but i have a friend that has a 250 and i fell my bike runs better than it, mine has better bottom, around the same or more mid, but less top. the suspention on the gas gas is just unbeatable, don't get me wrong the WP forks/shocks are great, but the OHLINS/Marzocci's package on the gas gas is just the best i have ever rode. hope i was some help

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
I've rode both bikes!

My 99 EC200 has the 45mm Zokes w/Ohlins rear shock! I've heard others lay down the smack about the 45mm zokes, but for the woods they sure are plush.
The GG will turn circles around a KTM!
The GG motor w/ Messico pipe is super smooth, with PLENTY of grunt down low for the truley nasty stuff!
The motor has NO nasty hit, just keeps on pulling from down low!
Tranny gear spacing seems perfect for offroad use>6speed<

Over all mine bike has been a steady performer with no problems to speak of other than routine parts that needed to be replaced. Sprockets, chain, topend, rear wheel bearings and some plastic.

Both the KTM and GasGas 200's are the cream of the crop in the 200cc market.
You really can't go wrong with either bike....but if you want to turn circles around a KTM ......buy the GasGas :p

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
They're cool bikes, but they look like a Suzuki from afar :p .

MR.WR, check your pm. I think you need to visit Clear Creek. Plenty of rabbit trails to turn circles around me on! I believe it's on now.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Mr. WR & Jim,
I'm signing up for the class - hope to see you guys there. :)

I've had a chance to ride (briefly) each of the bikes and they both are fine machines. The GG does handle exceptionally well in the woods. Both bikes have excellent motors and are a blast to ride. It would be tough for me to pick which one I like better without some additional saddle time.

Top Bottom