Dec 29, 2008
Hey guys, brand new member to the forums and also to riding. I just started riding 6 months back; borrowing bikes to ride. Well Christmas came and so did a (new) bike. The bikes a 2002 YZ 125, but it was only ridden once by an older guy whom thought he was too old for the sport. So he put it in storage and put it up for sale. I took it out and spent the weekend "breaking it in" :laugh: in Glamis.

It runs just like new. I weigh about 140 lbs. and am 5'11, so it's fine on power. My dad cleaned it out and put new fluids in(Coolent, etc.). I have been using Yamalube with a 32-1 mix ratio, but a friend talked to me about the differrent oils and stuff.

Well, since I'm a noob in this department, I was hoping I could get some advice on what mix ratios and oils are the best for my size bike.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Yamaha says 32:1.. Find a good quality oil that you can get whenever you need it, and stick to it. Run a good quality gas that's not a hassle to get... like Amoco Ultimate.

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Yamalube is a great oil. ALWAYS use a premium fuel. I always ran amsoil dominator full synthetic in my 96' yz250, at a 32:1 ratio. A way to tell if you have too much oil is if it is blowing oil residue all over the rear fender. With the right amount of oil there should be an oil residue at the tip of the silencer, not driping, but wet with oil. Check the spark plug as well. Look for a semi dry light brown colour on the electrodes.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Like this?
Plugs.jpg

Dec 29, 2008
I'll look for the slight oil residue on the silencer(But if I remember correctly it was at that level already). I'll concentrate all my effort on riding, but in between trackdays/camping trips I'll focus on the mechanics of my bike(along with body position). Nice pic, I'll check for that too. Thanks for the replies.

May 10, 2007
sharky243 said:
Yamalube is a great oil. ALWAYS use a premium fuel. I always ran amsoil dominator full synthetic in my 96' yz250, at a 32:1 ratio. A way to tell if you have too much oil is if it is blowing oil residue all over the rear fender. With the right amount of oil there should be an oil residue at the tip of the silencer, not driping, but wet with oil.

no that means your jetting is wrong.

Top Bottom