Spencer

Jul 30, 2002
Just curious, I am still running 32:1 Gas/Oil in my bike and have noticed alot of people are closer to 42:1. In fact most of the 2 stroke race oils I see have directions for mixing starting at 42:1. Am I missing out. What are the advantages to using less oil other than the obvious savings on oil cost. Is there a performance increase to be had and most of all, what is the effect on the engines longevity. I have heard it helps with oil coming out of the pipe but after a two hour scramble I just have a small patch of oil aroun the end of my silencer. Basically I just hate to think I could be missing out on some free performance :( Also whats your oil of choice, I'm running Spectro golden now but I just returned to racing after a ten year layoff and am pretty old school. I've seen an awful lot of new bottles out there.

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
Don't know about performance increases, but since I put my PC pipe on I've gone to 40:1 Amsoil, and didn't change jets either, just moved the needle clip up one. I have a 01 220R. I think Amsoil is probably recognized as the top dog. Eight bones a qt though, ouch. I'm a 6 weekends a yr guy though so cost is irrelevant. I buy the good stuff since I only buy a couple jugs a yr. I do think it's a little crisper in 1st and 2nd since going to 40:1, but it could obviously be the new pipe. If you're still running stock, I'd go 40:1 and change to a BR7ES plug if you're not running WOT a lot. Just my .02, there's a lot of people in here that know infinitely more than I do.

Seeya

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Spencer,
Stick with your ratio and study up on getting your jetting sorted out.
Many will tell you to go with less oil to rid the spooge.....wrongo! It's the other way around, actually. Going with less oil on the ratio without a jet change will end up spooging more.
It's a fact that you will see an increase of compression which equates to HP by using a higher amount of oil ratio. I believe that many in the know tuners will tell you that there is improvement all the way up to the 18/16:1 mark. I run 26:1 on my 125, but one needs to have the jetting curcuits ironed out no matter what ratio you run. DO NOT chase a spooge problem with ratio. It is a futile exercise. Pick a ratio and stick with it. I suggest running no less oil than 32:1 on any bike.
Do a search until you find what spanky or rich has to say. They make some great points, as do others.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom