Gas tank cracked on my 99' KDX I know old news

roostintally

Sep 6, 2004
ok ok, I know this is already been in about a billion forrums, but I have not found one person to post the special kawa phone # I need to call. My dealer hear in town is, well, to put it mildley, !!!!! worthless !!!! so I need to go in there with some leverage. If anyone can help me please let me know. Thanks guys,

ps. I just got my KDX and I love it. Braaaaaah Braaaaaah :yeehaw:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
When I called, they told me it wasn't the way to do it. Go to the dealer with the tank and make the service manager call his "special" number as you wait. Try and be in the same room as he makes the call. That's how I got my dealer (not!) to finally realize Maw Kaw will cover the tank.

junior224466

Jun 4, 2003
If you call the number they can't do anything for you. When you go to the dealer, you could say that you did call the number and they directed you to this specific kawi dealership. Tell the dealer that kawi did say they would replace the tank, but they wanted the transaction processed through the dealership.

DirtRoller

Jul 25, 2004
Just curious, is there anyway to keep this from happening.
Rubber thingy or extra brace or???
Do they all break in the same spot, and where is that?

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
They crack right at the filler neck. Not all, but enough to convince Kawasaki not to mess with the National Traffic Safety Board and get all the tanks recalled.
I don't know of any brace that would have helped. It seems to be a bad mix of plastics. The plastic inside the tank is different than the plastic on the outside and this blending area at a large opening like the filler probably exposed it's weak point. Good luck with the dealer.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…