kdx220guy

Jul 14, 2003
Anticipate purchase of KDX 220 .... riding will be desert and extended distances. I do dislike running out of fuel and more so walking. Any thoughts/comments on aftermarket tanks. They appear to pick up .5 gal more. What problems with these tanks have been seen ?. How many miles with mild throtle might one expect from 220 standard tank ? Last 2 stroke was a 400 Husky back in the 70's. Thanks.

mbl

Jun 12, 2003
I recently got a 03 220, and here is what I just experienced on my first tankfull.

Before breakin I put 2 gal of fuel into the tank. There was a little bit of fuel left from the dealer (required running on resv.).

I had to hit reserve at 68 miles. Then I went another 10 miles on reserve.

I was not really heavy handed on the throttel for this tank, so your milage may differ.

FWIW,
Brian

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
45 miles of wot hard riding with semi rich jetting. With jetting closer to be on I usually get 60-75 miles on a tank, depending how hard I ride.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Keep in mind your gearing if you change out the countershaft sprocket or rear sprocket. Your mileage may change if geared lower.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Here's a tip that Jeff Fredette gave me once:

If you're comfortable doing so you can increase the capacity of your stock tank by: draining all the fuel, shutting off the petcok, remove the fuel line to the carb, filling it with boiling water and pressurizing the tank. To pressurize the tank remove the vent hose and hold a rubber nipple from a car/truck tire in its place. You'll get about .3 to .4 gal more.

You need to keep the tank on the bike.

David

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Hi Canadian Dave. I understand why you would want to do this on the bike but would there be a problem removing the tank at a later date due to the expanded fit? I did this on my older 1984 KDX but it had a tank that straddled the frame and wasn't wrapped around the tank like the later models. Will this work for all year KDX's?

kdx220guy

Jul 14, 2003
I am surprized.... no one with any experience pro/con with any of the aftermarket gas tanks .... Amazing. Thanks CanadianDave.... I have heard of expanding existing tanks but I too have not heard of anyone that has actually tried it. Have there been no readers or readers friends who have tried oversized aftermarket tanks on a KDX ? Or does everyone stay close to the truck or just strap a gallon of gas on their back and take off ? :o)

holmy

May 6, 2003
Half a gal. don't seem like enough to justify buying a bigger tank to me. Like the other guys said, jetting is important. Enduro jug maybe ?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
On the way up for a recent ride with ‘carvr, we stopped off the highway and hid a couple gas cans behind a tree. Later that day after logging around 68 miles on our tanks we were able to retrieve those cans and make it back to the trucks. My bike took the full 2 gallons while ‘carvr still had about a quart in his 2 gallon can. Without those cans they’d probably still be looking for us!

Somewhere I saw an external tank that takes the place of your headlight or number plate. And Maier makes a few different sized jugs that fit in place of the crossbar pad on your handlebars.

Attachments

• maierenduro-jug.jpg
    maierenduro-jug.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 387

Racer#213

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 14, 2002
hey wibby i like the milage on the bikes odo :thumb:

ALso is there gas in that jug? how does the pressure work? does it get built up going over hte jumps, or whoops, or roote, or just bumps for that matter? i was thinking about one of htem too

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I found that pic at Maier's site. Most places I've seen sell 'em call it a water jug but a couple mention using it for gas too. So I don't know if it is a good idea or not...

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Acerbis makes the number plate gas tank. Don't know how much it holds but seemed to be more than .5 gal.

harry monza

Sep 28, 2002
Guy's
Down here in Australia we have a product call the bum tank.
It's a plastic tank that bolts on where the tool bag goes on the rear mudguard.
It 's flat on the top and hangs over like a small set of saddle bags.
Holds about 5 lts in fuel.
www.mcas.com.au have them so you could E-mail them for info.

Harry 43 y/o kdxer and loving it

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
I race the GNCC's in the 200 B class and use a stock tank with a moddified dry break in it, I can run for 2 hrs at race pace without hitting reserve, but i usually stop for gas at the 1.5 hr mark in the # hr races. In the local races (only 2 hrs long) i dont stop for gas.

kdx220guy

Jul 14, 2003
Well thanks. I had thought someone would have experince with IMS or other systems. May just have to buy and find out myself. Somewher I had heard that aftermarket tanks do not always fit well. An extra half gallon isn[t much but it is a lot if you are one half gallon oout from truck. I have been unable to gain a response to emails and no information on rear fender tank. If anyone knows more info or specific email address. please post. Again thanks to all how have responded.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
There is a brand new IMS oversized tank on ebay right now, Seller says he'll trade for a stock tank

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
the ims tank, that is a 3.4 gal is a nice tank, it fits ok from what i have seen, 2 of my friends have them on there 200's. The only reasion i dont have one is that i dont like how far they stick up. The KDX already has a hole to sit in, and the bigger tank lets u not slid up even more for turns.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
If anyone cares, there is a guy on ebay, who is willing to trade a brand new IMS tank for a stock tank. He's in the same state as me so I've concidered meeting him for the swap. But I have not made up my mind yet.... Here's his email....velder@sbcglobal.net

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom