Kokanee

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Does anyone know of a good material to replace a paper gasket with? I recently had to remove my inner clutch cover and damaged the gasket. I am leaving for the reno ride in a few weeks and don't trust my dealer to get me a stock gasket in time. The gasket will be exposed to oil and coolant. (form-a-gasket,rtv silicone,ect)? any info is appreciated.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Any auto parts store shouls stock varying thicknesses of gasket material. I keep thicknesses that range from .010 to 1/8" on hand. Just make sure to get the proper thickness (as close as you can). When I lived up the Sault Ste Marie there was a Canadian Tire store that supplied the stuff also, not sure if you have them or Napa, etc. If paper came out that's what I'd repalce it with, not silicone or permatex form-a-gasket. There no fun removing anyway.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Yes, an auto store will have some sheet material you can cut a new one out from. Use an exacto knife. If the ride is a few weeks away then why don't you just mail order one???

wornknobby

Feb 5, 2004
i used RTV high temp silicone on my clutch cover and crankcase cover and it holds up just like the gaskets at a fraction of the cost and time. :ohmy:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
if you're exposing it to oil (which you are) don't use a silicone based product. Oil and silicone don't mix as a general rule.

Top Bottom