razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Hey fellas.
I changed out all my upper gaskets on my CR250. When I removed the head, the gasket was made of some type of material. I have no idea what but it looked compress-able...
The replacement head gasket that I have is made of metal. Not sure what it is maybe copper? but it is black.
After firing up the bike with the new gasket, there is some coolant weeping out from the gasket. It never had any leaks with the other gasket so I am a little perplexed.
There is a very small amount of warpage around the head but less than .005 which was the smallest feeler I had. The manual states the head is still good to that limit but might need to be resurfaced.
So, is it the head that needs to be cleaned up or is it the gasket that needs to be changed?

Thanx
Bernie

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
I have done that twice now.
The nuts are torqued to 29Nm which is the highest torque the manual advises.

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Yes, there is a slight warpage on the head. It seems as though the outside edge of the head is higher than the inside edge. If you lay a straight edge across the bolt patterns, you can see a little daylight on the inside edges. I put a .005 feeler gage under it and it wouldn't pass so the warpage is not really much.
I stopped today to ask about getting it resurfaced and I was quoted $45.00. I guess it isn't that much but what do these things usually cost to have resurfaced?

Thanx

Top Bottom