mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Okay, you experienced KDX owners: I just changed the gearbox oil. The Factory Service manual says it takes .65 liters. It also says to put the oil in, start and idle the bike for 3 minutes, stop the engine, let it sit for several minutes and check the gearbox lube sightglass.

I put in exactly .5L of oil...the sight glass was full, then started the engine, and while it was running the sight glass emptied(to be expected). When I stopped the engine, the sight glass filled up completely...with only .5 liters of oil in it.
What gives??

(PS I performed a "search" function prior to posting this...with no results.)

Last edited:

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Was oil level correct before you drained it? Did you check the amount you drained out? I would guess for whatever reason all the oil did not drain out. Maybe the way the bike was sitting.(not level)

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
is .65 liters dry capacity? maybe it didn't drain all the way if the bike was at an angle? The inspection glass will look empty when started since it is throwing the oil around. since it is full when you shut it off I would not worry about it...

Mar 18, 2006
several on here suggest using a full quart (U.S., not Imperial) to quiet the kdx rattle. I just put a little extra in (50-75ml). You may have to change it again, just to make yourself feel better. Surely it will be fine with a fairly wide range of fill volume. As long as there is enough to stay cool and not too much to foam, it is good.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
I think I put in 0.8L and it just fills to the top of the sight glass. But when I start it, you don't see anything on th glass. that is normal.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
kaboom1371 said:
is .65 liters dry capacity? maybe it didn't drain all the way if the bike was at an angle? ..

.65 liters is "oil change" capacity. .75 is "dry fill" capacity. The bike is on a service stand and standing straight up. I will measure the amount I took out (factory fill) tonight and see what amount was in it...I do know that the factory fill was above the sight glass before I drained it....just how much above is impossible to know.

Mar 18, 2006
I just looked at mine off the sidestand and level (plumb?) and it overfills the sightglass by a bit. I don't know exactly how much oil I put in last; about 750ml I think. I don't use the marks in the cases beside the sight glass. I just drain and fill. It's 3 degrees celsius above freezing here today. The bikes are parked, so I ran some fuel stabilizer thru them all (7 running ones) and they will probably sit until spring. This method has been working well for me. A long time ago when fluids were cheaper, I would fill transmissions and fuel tanks to the top and store them this way. Drain everything and discard in the spring and good to go. :blah:

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I measured the amount I removed...the factory fill...and it is .65ml. :coocoo:
I guess the correct amount is .65ml and that amount is way above the level on the sight glass, eh?
Why do they do these things to us?????????? :bang:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
mudpack said:
You ARE kidding, right?

No, I'm not kidding. I've been told and read many times that using a whole quart helps to quiet down the gearbox. There's no pressure in there as there would be in a car with an oil pump. Oil level a bit high cant hurt a thing. ;).

J

Mar 18, 2006
Mudpack, do a search on kips rattle. That may clear things up for you. The transmission is not noisy, it is something else that rattles annoyingly.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
longtime coming said:
Mudpack, do a search on kips rattle. That may clear things up for you. The transmission is not noisy, it is something else that rattles annoyingly.
So how does adding tranny oil help the exhaust valve rattle? :think:

If you overfill it it will get pushed out the vent hose and drain onto the ground.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Going from 600ml to a full quart quieted mine down a hair. Not a whole lot though. I will try both ways, as it is possible that the drag on the clutch from the extra oil could rob a little power from the top end. Perhaps unlikely, but I would think it possible.

J.

Sandman 2.0

Apr 29, 2004
I've always used a full quart in mine. I don't notice a noise difference but its great not having a zillion bottles of oil in the garage with a small amount left in them. If memory serves me, Jeff Fredette recommended a full quart. I believe he knows a little something about the KDX.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I owned KDXs for about 20 years.

To recap the gearbox oil issue:

Some people use a lightweight lube like ATF
Some use much heavier gear oil
Some use a weight inbetween ATF and gear oil

Some change the oil frequently - less than every 200 miles
Some change it once a year
Some almost never change it

Some put in 0.65 liters
Some put in a whole quart
Some put in between 0.65 liters and a quart

Almost no one ever reports a transmission problem.

What does it all mean? To me, it means that these gearboxes are not finicky at all and virtually bullet proof. Do what you feel comfortable with and your tranny is going to be just fine.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
After reading all this, I put .65L of 10W-40 synthetic blend motorcycle oil in. I rode the bike, then let it cool.
Now, the gearbox lube completely fills the sight glass. But, if I tilt the bike to the left about 4 degrees, the oil level then is visible in the glass. That looks like it's good to me, and I'm very comfortable with that....and it's the exact amount that the owner's manual and service manual recommend.
I'm not going to worry about a noisy gearbox, a noisy KIPS, underfilling, or overfilling..... I'm going riding!!! :nod:

Top Bottom