Gears falling flat on 200

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
I have been noticing my gears falling flat on my bike. It seems like it has been for a while. my bike is a 2003 KDX200. my gears pull like a mofo until I hit high revvs and the gear is wound out. What can I do to fix this problem?

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
no, my bike pulls perfectly fine until the gear is like 3/4 the way wound out. I know KDX's are known to fall flat in their gears. what is a good fix for this. my bike, like i said, pulls fine until the gear is just about wound out. i guess you coul dlook at it like this. say it pulls like a 250, from bottom to like the top of the mid, then on top, it falls flat, and runs say like a 125? i guess you can look at it that way.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
you can't fix it, it's a KDX. Quit asking.

Mine is doing the same thing. I took off the Cyl. to do a top end and found the kips valves sheared off. I imagine it will run alot better when I am done.

canyncarvr

Subscriber
re: 'you can't fix it, it's a KDX.'

Hhhmmm...my bike doesn't do that. :think: Maybe it's a rider thing.....;)

Oh no. That' couldn't be!

I must just be special!

john stu

Lifetime Sponsor
"then on top, it falls flat, and runs say like a 125? i guess you can look at it that way" falls flat on top like a 125 what 125's have you been riding lol

JCW

Subscriber
If you have enough power, try a 14 tooth countersprocket. You won't believe the difference in top end and how long and hard it pulls. However, you will lose a little power down low as 1st gear will be a little taller and pull longer also. You will need good jetting to make this work.

I had the same problem when I switched to the FMF -35 gnarly woods pipe on my 03 KDX 200. Great low end and mids, but a flat top end. Re-jetting and the new sprocket made mine come to life for less than $20. You will have to shave your aluminum sprocket guard down if you switch (and possibly trim a little excess rubber off of the swing arm bushing). It's a cheap fix and it worked for me-

JCW

Houndog

Subscriber
JCW, do you run a 47 rear sprocket? Do you do any slow/tight trails with the 14?

JCW

Subscriber
Yes, I am running a 47 rear sprocket. Most of my riding is in tight technical trails with hills. I like the 14 because I can climb steep hills in 1st with a little more speed and ride trails without shifting gears so much. I rode 110 miles last Saturday in the Ozark Mtns and it pulled with no problem.

Which pipe are you running? That will help determine proper gearing.
JCW

Houndog

Subscriber
I am running the Rev pipe (-30) on a 95 200, it is jetted and works great. I made an aluminum sprocket guard which I might have to modify a bit more for the 14, it might be worth testing. I know there have been a few times that I would like to have had a 7th gear :)

wibby

Mod Ban
Hhhmmm...my bike doesn't do that. Maybe it's a rider thing.....

Oh no. That' couldn't be!

I must just be special!
I must be special too! :confused:

JCW

Subscriber
I'm not sure about a 14 tooth sprocket on a -30 rev pipe. I know you will like the mid and high RPM pull (and top end speed), but I would be a little concerned about the low end pull if you have a lot of hills and slow technical riding areas. If you try it, let us know how it works.

JCW