Getting a 08 KX450F and have some questions

BLR STS

Jun 10, 2008
Hey guys, im trading my 450 quad for a 08 kx450f. Nothings really done to it so its pretty much stock except for graphix. I've ridden bikes before (brother has 125) and my buddy has a 05 yz450f. His 450 seems snappy and unpredicitable so i didnt know if this kawi will be like that or what to expect. I've heard that the bike feels big and im only 5'9" so im somewhat lost on what to expect from the big because i've never been around kawi's. Any problems i should look out for? Thanks for the help guys.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Frequent regular maintenance is your friend on any racing 4 stroke. Off hand the 08 like most of the recent kawi's eat chain guides and sliders with alarming regularity and if you don't keep an eye on it you can chew up the swingarm. There have been many that have had pistons crack on the KX450f's so I'd consider changing it especially if it's still stock with an unknown amount of hours on it.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
And they are really snappy. They pull like a freight train from idle on up. Not a good bike for a novice woods rider. Great bike for a weekend warrior mx'er or anyone above that.

BLR STS

Jun 10, 2008
I'm going to be riding tracks and the trails I ride on are wide open so that's not to much of a issue. The guy just had the motor opened up and checked and everything wa okay'ed so I guess my main thing I have to watch for is the chain sliders

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The sliders are plastic. Mine are getting pretty grooved on the crf. Pretty much all bikes eat them, just some are more prone to swingarm damage if neglected.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
That's right. Keep the oil and air filter clean and try to keep the rubber side down.

Apr 7, 2008
i got a 09 kx450 a few months ago after being on a yz125 for a few years. its pretty easy to ride and is definetly snappy. i'm 5'11" and 190 pounds and its great for me. and definetly watch the sliders. my chain ate through it after my first few rides

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
09 KX450F, 5'8, bike feels a little bigger that the old 250 smoker, but I like a wider bike. Front end has always been a bit harsh, but the bike is far from unpredictable. When I twist the throttle, it pulls...HARD, but there is no violent hit in the band. I can lug it out of turns in third, or rip it out in second depending the length of the straight and my desire to shift. About to change the stock slider (plus the chain and sprockets) @ 37 hours.

Top Bottom