Getting a new bike...advice? KTM EXC 300?

Should I simply get the KTM XC-W 300, or should I look more at others?

• Total voters

ImGoingRiding

Oct 11, 2007
Hello all,

I am now 39 years old, and I haven't ridden much in years. I spent the first 21 years of my life on the likes of Honda's XR80, XR100 (80'), XR200 (82'), CR250 (85'), and short stints on a few others. Mostly riding in the countryside, with some time on MX tracks, Hare Scrambles, and Enduro.

I've got the fever to get back into riding. I've been in touch with some old riding buddies who have experianced Honda CR 500's, XR 250's, and they have favored KTM lately.

Their current advice to me is to get a used KTM 300 XC-W, with the idea that it will handle light duty play on a local "backyard MX track", trail riding, and some time in the woods.

I like the idea of KTM primo suspension. I am kinda debating between 300 two stroke, or 400-450 four stroke.

I am looking for advice from folks who have had saddle time on different bikes, including KTM's.

Should I simply stay KTM and ignore all the others?

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
What's wrong with a GasGas EC300? Has better suspension (linkage!) and is a quality bike (just as good as a KTM). Also, resale on Gassers is lower so you could pick up a late model EC300 (2005 or newer) for fairly cheap.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I love 300's. Gas Gas or KTM you can't go wrong.

The KTM 400-525's are nice bikes. I enjoy riding them but when I get aggressive the extra weight wears me out.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The 300XC-W is a great bike. Could be the best all around production woods bike. The GASGAS is very comparable but has quite a few "off the shelf" parts. I think that the GASGAS has a smoother power delivery and the suspension is plush. Both bikes are really good.
I've owned both 2 stokes and 4 strokes and currently ride a YZ250. This particular bike with suspension mods and tall seat foam is the overall best performing of the bikes that I've had. The Mamba(do a search) was too much bike for me. The YZ426F and YZ450F were both brutal power houses and I think the those three bikes stretched my arms a few inches.
Not sure of how big or small you are but don't count out the 250 two strokes.

SINGLETRAC

Oct 10, 2007
Im 37 And Ride A 06 300 Xcw, I Love This Bike !! Did Some Small Mods To The Front Forks. Other Than That The Bike Has Been Super For Me. I Mostly Woods Ride Here In Tn, And Some In Ky. The Bike Is A Virtual Woods Tractor, For My Money You Cant Beat A Two Stroke, Can You Say Inexpensive ?? Hope This Helps.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
I'd stick with the hondas. Why switch. Sure Ktm's are nice bike but they have an even nicer price tag on them. I ride a yamaha but I like honda's as well. I really enjoyed riding the CRF 450. Beautiful bike with TONS of power if you need it. Plus honda's good name. THEY NEVER BREAK DOWN!!! well I wouldn't say never but they are very reliable. Unless you are racing in open class then I would suggest sticking with your honda.

Jeromeo

Feb 26, 2007
also consider what dealers you have nearby. GAS GAS I don't think is the best idea because personally I don't know any dealers near me who carry them. I have one dealer that carries KTM but that's it. Honda's are all over. As well as yamaha

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Have you ever ridden a CRF450R in the woods? Not fun. And the CRF450X is heavy, PITA to start when the battery dies and needs mods to make competitive power.

The GasGas dealer network is expanding and parts are never an issue. The bikes don't break down so the only parts you need is crash damage. GoFasters has any part you'll ever need in stock, and shipping is fast and easy.

The KTM is a good bike, but the GasGas is even better. Either way you'll be happy, but keep in mind that anyone that gives a GasGas a try usually ends up buying one (especially KTM riders).

I would definitely recommend a 300 two-stroke for you. The 300s are great machines.

SINGLETRAC

Oct 10, 2007
I Agree With Speedy, Buy A 300 Two Stroke, And A Bigger Helmet, The Helmet You Have Now Probably Wont Be Able To Cotain That 300 Two Stroke Grin !!!!!

fastrider11

Sep 2, 2007
300 xc-w

I race hare scrambles with a 250 2 Stroke i know some people that came off a 450 xcf-w and went the 300 and they said they will never go back to a 4 stroke. GO WITH THE 300 :cool: :ride:

mbaird

May 25, 2006
2 strokes for life, I was curious as to why you recommended rwild against the 300xcw
earlier today, yet here you state that it may be the best woods bike available ?

He stated that he likes tight woods, technical terrain and hills. A 300 XCW is perfect
for all of that.

I do understand that you may be thinking of the extra money he willl spend , but I
went thru the same dilema this spring and chose to throw a bunch of money at my
CR250r ( suspension and engine mods ) That was a mistake in hindsight.
The XCW250 I rode last week was hands down the best bike I've ever riden for my
style of riding (idaho single track,creeks , monster and technical uphills, woods and
enduro races )

Not trying to bust your chops, just curious.

Jan 3, 2007
mbaird, I actually said the open class 300cc 2 stroke is awsome, not the KTM 300XC-(W). I am not really big on blending in with the crowd of people ridding KTMs. Thats just me. Thats why a wear shorts in -24C. I would rather have a Gasgas or TM 300 2 stroke for the fact they are very different. There was a time when i thought KTMs were the only good stock 2 stroke woods bikes until i rode some Husqvarna WR250 and Gasgas ECs. I will admit that that KTMs have there place (such as the mini class and Dakar) but for me i would rather have a bike that stands out in a crowed or just get a white KTM.

So, there great bikes just not for me. Thats why i would rather sudgest a different bike befor a KTM. Just me thats all.

Jeki Nweman

Nov 29, 2007
In Italy Ktm 300 is a common bike! It's very easy better than a 4 strokes but I think that Ktm has a big big problem on "Pds" suspention! I don't like it! When I raced with Ktm 125 i was always afraid! now I race with a Husky 250 2s... and I'm very satisfy!

mbaird

May 25, 2006
2 strokes fro life, I can understand being unique. Thats why I have been a Mopar guy
since long before they became cool. And your right about the sea of Orange (you should have seen all the KTM's in the Idaho City 100) , but for a 118 mile event or ride that covers the type of trails we have out here I would rather blend in than drop from exhuastion on my CR.

If I were MXing I would probably prefer the CR , but I dont MX.

Jan 3, 2007
Grate point. I still think there is a bike that can do it all better thn a KTM and we have just not seen the light. I would love a bike that was awsome at both MX and Hare Scrammbles seeings thats what i race.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Blend in and get a KTM. Or do some more research, some test riding, and realize that GasGas makes a superior product and buy one. Be different. Don't be a sheep.

May 10, 2007
SpeedyManiac said:
Blend in and get a KTM. Or do some more research, some test riding, and realize that GasGas makes a superior product and buy one. Be different. Don't be a sheep.

the problem with gasgas is that (now im assuming i went to the right website though i might not have which seems pretty probable) is that there are only like 3 dealers in the US.

http://www.gasgasmotos.es/eng/frame.htm

even if that is wrong i dont know of one GASGAS dealer by me or in my area.

also dont you think there is a reason you see so many KTM's?

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
There's actually quite a few dealers in the USA. I actually get my parts either through the western canadian importer or from GoFasters in the USA. GasGas dealers are usually hardcore riders themselves, so they tend to put the average dealer to shame in terms of parts stock and service.

GasGas is like KTM 6-7 years ago, only with linkage. :P

Top Bottom