njdrtrdr

Dec 10, 2002
Just wanted to let you guys know. I was just talking to a guy at my campground who ride RAC on his quad. Well today he said they wandered off RAC property and onto water shed property and didn't know it. Got stopped by a ranger, they checked insurance and registration and gave the $100 tickets. Rangers said they get a lot of people and they believe the guys but the riders need to pay better attention there are a couple signs posted.
I'm not sure where on the property they wandered off. I recall seeing some sign up above the coal hill and also state park signs further East on the property. I always turned around when I see them

Nick

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
Basically anything north and east of Burma Rd, except right along the road is now off limits unless you know exactly where you are. There are still several trails I do enjoy doing as warm-ups that are still on RAC property. I have seen numerous signs over the last couple of years come and go as the locals tear them down. I would advise riding south of Burma unless you know where you are. Being on a quad makes it even tougher for you guys. Just remember there are hundreds of miles of trails without risking getting in trouble. I’ve never heard of anyone being given a ticket for their first offense so it’s possible that your friends were argumentative with the rangers. The way to handle it if you do get stopped and it is an honest mistake is to apologize and show your RAC permit and let them know it won’t happen again. They will however take all your information put you on the list and if you get caught again things won’t be good for you. Just so you know one of our riders recently was told and I’ve heard in the past. There is an old man that owns some land along the power lines just south of Berma that will have no problem in shooting first and asking questions later. Always best to ride with someone who knows the area or be sure to stay off posted property out there.

njdrtrdr

Dec 10, 2002
I'll have to talk to them more about it, but I'm pretty sure they didn't argue with the ranger. These guys are older and pretty layed back, they're not kids. I always thougt RAC's chunk of land was larger on the north than the south. I'm sure this could happen to anyone, I don't ride there enough to notice signs going up and down. I also think quad guys are more at risk since they ride slower and on the bigger trails as opposed to the singletrack. The single track I've been riding last was up above the coal hill behind Walmart and ran east I would guess parallel with the power line and on both sides of it.

Unfortunately I think stuff like this will be the demise of RAC riding permits. I know there Is issue up in Trevorton with riders creating a lot of dust riding a road that is RAC property, but its pissing off the townspeople and neighbors. I think if enough issues arise that Reading Anthracite has to deal with, they eventually say its not worth the hassle.

But time will tell.
But you are right, there's lots of nice single track on the South Side, I rode it a couple years ago. I generally only get there a handful of times a year. I've also never ridden there with someone who knows where they are going.

I still say they'd be better off leasing the land to an atv business which would mark trail and post boundaries.

Top Bottom