R E A L

Aug 30, 2004
I couldn't ride it any, but with it just running for a little bit the plug was a little less oily, but there was still some on there, and it was black.

Changing the needle and mixture screw didnt seem to do much, if anything, it made it run worse.

Jeff

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
well if you didnt get to actually ride it the plug wont look much different.

Can you try to explain exactly what happens when it dies? (ie. What kind of sound does it make?, does it die immidiately, or just sputter out?, does it die when you give it throttle, etc.)

R E A L

Aug 30, 2004
ok, It does two different things sometime, its either of these two.

It starts up without me giving it any throttle. Then it will normally stay running when I keep it at a steady throttle, when I give it more gas and let off, it will stay at the same RPM for about 10 seconds, then it normally just dies.
OR
Its starts with me giving it gas then starts to rev high by itself for like 1 second then dies.

Jeff

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
to me it still sounds like jetting.

If your having troubles starting it the engine may be flooded. Try starting it holding the throttle wide open. Sometimes this will get a flooded engine to start.

R E A L

Aug 30, 2004
mxmatthew said:
Try starting it holding the throttle wide open. Sometimes this will get a flooded engine to start.

If Im not mistaken, isn't that how engines get flooded?

If its jetting then I guess the bike wont get fixed, because I have no money and my dad doesn't want to spend any more.

19 more days until my birthday!! KDX200 here I come! (hopefully)

Jeff

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
Well.... i think their around a few dollars (i think i might've payed $3something for mine), they cant be that much for a little piece of metal with a hole in it.

you'll find them at your good old dealership.

You'll have to see whats in the carb right now. If you look on the bottom of it (the jet) you'll see some really hard to see numbers, take note of them. If your really tight on cash then you'll have to guess which one to get. If at all possible grab a couple leaner ones (smaller numbers) so you don't have to go back and fourth to the dealership. It probably wont need much; if your lucky one jet size down will do you.

R E A L

Aug 30, 2004
ok, so the jet sizes are marked by those numbers? Are the bases of the jet(the part that screwes in to the carb) the same size for all? I will try to get my dad to take me tomorrow to the YAMAHA place.

Jeff

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
R E A L said:
ok, so the jet sizes are marked by those numbers?
Yeah.

R E A L said:
Are the bases of the jet(the part that screwes in to the carb) the same size for all?
I'm not too sure, they could be, but your dealership should have all the parts books and stuff so they can make sure your getting the right one.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
R E A L said:
Well me and my friend are detirmind to get it to run.

Based on the number of posts and the month long quest, I'd say you are a very determined young man. Your quest for knowledge is admirable. Keep trying, you'll be teaching us something someday. YZ165

R E A L

Aug 30, 2004
well right now my dad is re-tileing the house so he isn't going to be taking me anywhere for a few more weeks. My birthday is only 8 days away, so I think im gonna try and wait it out to see if I get a new dirtbike. If not, I will wait for a ride to the YAMAHA store and try some new jets.

If you guys want I can tell you if I scored with a new bike or not.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Jeff;

You ARE helping with the tile eh?

And cutting the grass, washing the dishes, etc?

Heck yes; we want you to tell us if you get a new bike! :eek:

In fact; I want you to ride it by my house so I can see it!

Oh . . . . . shoot . . . . . Nevada . . . . . nevermind!

R E A L

Aug 30, 2004
yep, I've been helping him as much as possible. I would be mowing the grass like twice a day, but now that its pretty much winter, its mostly dead. Ok, so in about 8 days I will post on here wether or not I got the new bike. If not, I will ask my dad to take me to the yamaha store for a birthday present. Well, wish me luck guys and thanks so much for helpin me with the GT.

Jeff

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
you know there are so many things that sound like they are wrong with your GT that I hope you get a new bike. At least your dad can see you are willing to work at solving a problem and getting outside help . All good skills to learn.

I think your float is filling up with gas and therefore the flow of the gas from the tank into the carb is not stopping, leaking, letting gas into the crankcase and causing all these problems. when you ride it hard you can proibably burn the gas off as fast as it is coming in. through your partially plugged petcock ( which is why reserve gives you better performance than just "on"

The high rpm operation when you have the throttle close, then dies, is running out of gas. coupled with either the slide in the carb not returning or a massive air leak somewhere ( crank seals ? ) intake boot ? etc
Tell your dad to get you a new bike , for like $89/ month you can get a new KDX with a warranty

good luck

R E A L

Aug 30, 2004
Well, tomorrow is the day!! I am starting to get very worried, because just TODAY my parents asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I had the most confused look on my face, I was like, don't you know?!? When I said a dirtbike they both laughed and my mom said for me to pick somthing a "little" cheaper. I hope to god they are just tryin to screw with my mind and they really got me one. I will let you all know how it went by tomorrow around the same time.

Jeff

R E A L

Aug 30, 2004
well, I didn't get anything that resembled a dirtbike today. It kinda sucked. I have a little under $800 right now, and I am going to start saving like mad and hopefully I will buy myself a dirtbike by the end of this year. I am too bummed out now to try and screw with the GT.

Jeff

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
You're doing great REAL, get that GT running and sell it. Put that money with the $800 and you'll have enough to get a newer bike. Let the guy's on here know what kind of budget you have and we'll all keep and eye out for good deals. Don't quit now little man, you're on the right track! YZ165

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Yup, YZ's right. The GT could bring $3-500. Especially at a vintage swap meet. You could find a nice used older KDX for under $1500 if you're a good bargain shopper.

Oct 28, 2004
your best bet would be on e*b*a*y motors. I picked up my yz250 with new complete engine with many mods and i consider it brand new even though its a 91 for 1100 bucks. just get a friend with a pickup and fill up his tank and buy him some meals, win a bid on e*b*a*y and go on out and pick her up. I had to drive 200 miles but it was well worth it. heck i wouldnt of minded driving 500 miles for the deal I got. Good luck and HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

ps. what kind of bike are you looking for?
also check out mcmart.com, they have a huge classifiedes section and also check out cycletrader.com

good luck and have fun!

Oct 28, 2004
hit me up on AIM and give me some info on what you are looking for (firecraker567)

I know what you are going through, being a teen and needing transportation is like a lust of none other

Top Bottom